Please sign in to post.

Colosseum Tours

I have been looking for some good tour options for Colosseum. WalkofItaly looks great on time spent with guide (3 hours ) but it is expensive. Official guide tour is reasonable priced but length of tour is only an hour for all 3 sites. I am thinking that will be too rushed.

Will like to check with experts here on what are the other options? something that's not expensive and gives a good overview. At some sites it says there are guides available right outside Colosseum that can be hired but i am not sure how good they are.

any feedback is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Posted by
9 posts

I'm not an expert. We've never been to Italy, but my family and I are going at the end of June and I spent well over a week trying to decide which tour company was the best for the Colosseum. I looked at Walks of Italy, Dark Rome, and The Roman guy, along with a few other lesser known ones. In the end, I booked with the Roman Guy because of price and recommendations. We are doing the Colosseum arena floor tour, which includes the 1st and 2nd levels as well, and also includes a guided tour of the Roman Forum and then it sounds like you explore Palatine Hill on your own. I think this tour length is about 2.5 hours but they all were in that ball park of 2.5-3 hours from my compassion. I think the Roman Guy tours are just a bit less than the Walks of Italy and we got a discount because I booked a second tour with them (the catacombs). I've seen conflicting info about hiring guides outside the Colosseum, which is why I just decided to play it safe and go this route. Hope this info helps.

Posted by
3895 posts

We went with Walks of Italy, but it was in February and the tour was closer to 4 hours. Honestly, if you are going in the warmer weather, I couldn't imagine doing a tour that long. There is no shade outside of the Coloseum. The 1 hour tour would be enough for us.

Posted by
3961 posts

We've taken a variety of tours over the years in our travels. We've hired private guides, group tours and free tours. We've never been disappointed. We were very pleased with the Walks of Italy tours of the Colosseum and Palatine the last time we were in Rome. We were fortunate to have a small group of 6, knowledgeable guide who answered our questions & ample time to see the sights without feeling rushed. Memorable experience.

Posted by
4152 posts

The official underground tour is almost an hour and a half long. There is no official tour that covers all three sites. What you're seeing is the official tour of the colosseum with entry to all three sites.

The official tours are very good, both the underground and the main area tours. There is an official tour of the forum but that is geared toward groups and costs 130 euros.

donna