Please sign in to post.

Colosseum Tours

Hello, my family will be Rome in hot July. The Colosseum is on our list of places to see. We want to take a tour but are trying to decide whether to do the day time or night time tour. Any suggestions?

Posted by
1229 posts

We did a coop-culture tour in July at 9 am and it was very mild, then crossed the street and visited the Forum and Palatine Hill, where it started to get hot (11a). You could do the forum etc. first, and then do the Coliseum tour (they are ~2 hours if I remember) in the afternoon
Would it be less hot at the Forum later than at than 11a? I don't know... seems like 6 of one, ½ dozen of the other maybe

Posted by
312 posts

I took an evening tour last June and it was one of the best decisions I made. It had been a very hot day, but the evening was much cooler. The Colosseum was empty except for a few other tour groups, and the views from the 2nd level around sunset were beautiful. The tour visits the underground as well as the main levels (but not the 3rd ring).

I booked it in advance (€20), but the evening I was there, they still had space available. I highly recommend it.