Please sign in to post.

Colosseum Tour Help

Help! ugh! OK, I waited until today to book my upper and lowering ring tours for the Colosseum because Avril 18 was the date that May tickets were to be released and all the tickets are SOLD OUT! I'm so sad. I checked a few tour places and they are sold out as well. I can get into the Colosseum just can't get the guided English tour of upper and lower rings. SO, here are my questions:
1. Do I need a tour to get into the upper and lower rings or do we have access into those by ourselves?
2. Any suggestions of any tour companies used for this area? Some seem very pricey!
3. Can I get a tour the day I arrive? I will buy our entry tickets ahead of time, just seems like what I'm reading that a few people have said they walked up and a tour was starting and they paid and joined?

We are going May 18 which I know will be busy!

Any suggestions APPRECIATED!!!

Posted by
15863 posts

Or this one (pricey but raved about by RS members who have taken their tours):

https://www.walksofitaly.com/rome-tours/colosseum-underground-tours

You might also see if coopculture's night tours are fully booked yet? That includes the underground.

http://www.coopculture.it/en/events.cfm?id=177

No you can't access the underground without a tour, and to my knowledge can't snag coopculture tickets for the daytime tour once you're in Rome. That they were sold out in minutes of trying to purchase them should give you some idea of how great the demand is!

Posted by
4152 posts

Hi Sue,

Yes, the underground tour is very popular and sells out within minutes. There are a few things you can do if you want to take this tour.

You can book an alternate language tour. If you do this you'll need to read up on the structure of the colosseum or take the regular 5 euros tour before your underground tour so you'll know what you're seeing.

You can try to book the night time tour.

Once the tours are sold out, there is nothing you can do. They don't hold back tickets to sell the day of. If you can't get tickets I wouldn't let it upset me too much. The underground tour is interesting but you can see everything from above without being on the tour so unless you're really keen on standing under the small bit of arena floor just to see it at eye level you really shouldn't stress too much over it.

Personally, I think this tour has been built up beyond what it really is. I've done the tour several times and while I find it interesting I wouldn't pay 80-120 euros for it.

Donna

I also waited until today to buy tickets because of what their website said (we're going on May 11). There are lots of tours in Spanish and Italian still available, it is only English that's sold out. I think I'm going to book a Spanish tour. Hopefully they'll be able to switch us to English when we arrive but even if they can't, the main thing I want is access to the underground areas and my understanding is you can't get into those areas without a tour. I'll download an English audio guide in advance.

Posted by
34 posts

If you are going on a weekday in May, there is a lot of availability for the night tour, which I believe goes to the underground level, but doesn't mention the third tier.

I would love the night tour (less heat!) but since we are only there on the weekend, all availability is gone.

Posted by
991 posts

I booked a tour sponsored by the Roman Guy. It cost $99 or €99, the confirmation paper doesn't give the price. I do agree that this kind of tour would be rather expensive if you are traveling with one or more other people. I am a single man traveling alone. How else can you save money if younspend $100'or more per person on tours?

Posted by
15863 posts

I booked a tour sponsored by the Roman Guy. It cost $99 or €99, the
confirmation paper doesn't give the price.

Mike, the website lists your tour as $99 USD.
https://theromanguy.com/tours/Rome?gclid=COLCzqyZr9MCFZIBaQodDisBxg

How else can you save money if younspend $100'or more per person on
tours?

Easy. You choose your tours wisely and sparingly if your pennies are tight. Rome has many free attractions, those which cost a modest amount and have signage, and those which can be visited with just a ticket and no tour if willing to do the background reading in advance.

The underground is a bit different as it requires a tour and those are in high demand. Tourists who can't snag the bargain coopculture tours have been willing to pay much more just to access that area.

Posted by
4152 posts

If you want a really inexpensive way to tour the colosseum underground then you should book an alternate language tour as well as an English tour of the regular areas. The information in the tours is the same so taking the regular tour before the underground tour gives you all the information you need to know.

The regular tour costs 5 euros but you need to call to make that reservation.

donna