Please sign in to post.

Colosseum Tix -

I need 4 tix to Colosseum preferably to include the arena floor on June 10, 2024. I do not need any access to the underground portion which seem to be the most difficult to obtain. However, from reading several posts on this forum, I am learning that it is difficult to get ANY tix through the website. Is it better to schedule with a tour company ? I have a reservation with Viator tours right now but after reading the forum posts, I fear that it will be cancelled if Viator also has trouble obtaining entry tix. Any advice is welcomed. I just want to gain access !

Posted by
117 posts

The official website at www.colosseo.it appears to only be accessible during "open" hours--not 24/7. I personally suspect that they may shut it down to conserve energy.

Posted by
10208 posts

There has been a change in the ticket sales procedure for the Colosseum that will make it easier for individuals from now on. Days of worrying and gnashing teeth may be over.

I was on a tour in Rome two weeks ago and heard from our guide that it's now easier to buy Colosseum tickets from the Colosseum. Tickets are now sold only with visitor's name printed on the ticket. Our tour company purchased our tickets with our names on them for our group of 15. Next, we had to present ID verification upon entry showing the name on our tickets matched our ID. (Passport or national ID cards) We had two or three ticket/ID checks, as well as security screening.

Our guide said this has been the new procedure for her last 3 groups, so a recent change. It also means that ticket resellers can no longer buy blocks of tickets with the intention of reselling them at a high price. Tour companies cannot buy blocks of generic tickets and return any that are unsold; they have to give the visitor's name on their ID or passport when purchasing the tickets. Computer programs can't buy up all the tickets. It also means that as an individual, you have a shot at getting the tickets you need without going through a company. You won't be able to give your ticket away...unless that person has the same name as you.

Posted by
15826 posts

Along with what Bets has helpfully posted, see my response to your other post; please wait and see what transpires with the NEW ticketing service scheduled to go live on Feb. 1. At that point, ANY information regarding online ticketing prior to that date will be outdated, including (possibly) the amount of tickets 3rd-parties like Viator will or will not be able to obtain.

https://colosseo.it/en/2023/11/parco-archeologico-del-colosseo-signed-the-contract-with-the-new-ticketing-system-provider/

Posted by
13 posts

Great info everyone! How far in advance can you book tickets for Colosseum and Forum?