Please sign in to post.

Colosseum tickets

I have never bought fast-track tickets, instead go to the site very early, avoiding the long lines. I'm planning to visit the Rome Colosseum in May. Could I do the same there or it is necessary that I buy the fast track tickets? Thanks for your advise. Jay

Posted by
1702 posts

Every day is different. I would buy tickets in advance. The last time I went, the line early in the morning was a 45-60 minute wait to buy tickets and growing every minute. Glad I had mine in hand.

Posted by
237 posts

Hi. I am not sure about fast-track tickets for the daytime. We went in the evening. It was cooler. I highly suggest that you get a private guide or join a tour as this makes it really come alive. The experience would not have been the same without a guide/tour as we wouldn't have really understood what we were looking at. The company we used was called Walks of Italy, but there are many others I'm sure that would provide such a service.

Posted by
117 posts

I was at the Coloseum in Jan 2018. Bought the Roma Museum Pass and we were able to walk in when we arrived. Times have changed. Upon viewing their site today, Due to the crowds, they are requesting people using a Roma Pass to also book an entry time it is an additional 2.00 euros. They are selling Colosseum Tickets through the end of March currently with a timed entry. I am thinking you would have a better time getting in if you bought timed entry tickets at the Official Website when they come available. No need to do one of the fast track tickets as all tickets are timed entry and tickets at the official website are much cheaper. You can add a guided tour to the timed entry ticket purchased at the Official website. Our tour was excellent.

Posted by
160 posts

I recommend the Belvedere tour. Empty upper decks and great views.

Posted by
15863 posts

Personally, there's no way I'd go to the Colosseum in high season without advance tickets but you could try getting there before the opening hour.

The schedule for release of all varieties of Colosseum tickets + tours throughout the rest of the year is on the righthand column of this page:

https://www.coopculture.it/en/events.cfm?id=6

Be sure and click the [++] sign at the bottom of the column to fully revel the schedules.

The Belvedere (4th and 5th levels) was closed awhile back for repairs and tours of that area are still unavailable.

Posted by
8 posts

There it is. Thank you, Kathy. Any idea how quickly these usually sell out? Looking for late April. Thx

Posted by
15863 posts

They don't make that schedule the easiest to find!

Underground tours sell out almost immediately upon becoming available for high/shoulder seasons. You're going to want to be on your computer and ready to pounce on the designated day and hour. And when you book your "full experience" tour, make SURE you are booking one labeled "guided visit" on this page (link below) as the very first one at the top of the page is only for guides and/or visitors who will be hiring their own licensed guide; you don't want that one.

https://ecm.coopculture.it/index.php?option=com_snapp&view=products&catalogid=4C0930AC-4328-54A9-269F-0167A81F48EB&snappTemplate=template3&lang=en

Posted by
3 posts

Anyone know if you can you enter the Roman Forum-Palatine Hill before your scheduled time entrance to the Colosseum? Tickets state '24 hours from first use'. Also, If you miss your scheduled entrance to the Colosseum, can you still enter Roman Forum-Palatine Hill?

Posted by
15863 posts

It used to be that your entry time for the Colosseum was the first opportunity to use the ticket; you had to visit the Forum/Palatine afterwards. That may have changed, and I believe I've seen some comments from visitors who were allowed to do it in the opposite order but don't feel confident to give you any sort of definitive answer. I have a feeling that you're the "John" who has asked this same question on TripAdvisor? I'd go with whatever they're telling you; a couple of the folks over there also keep a tight rein on the ins and outs (and there are many!) of the Colosseum, and it takes a village these days to keep it all straight! 😳

I will say, however, that if you got the OK to do the Forum/Palatine before your scheduled Colosseum entry time IN WRITING (a copy/paste of your TA post below) I'd save that correspondence and give the reverse order a shot; have it pulled up and ready to show the authorities at the entrance to the Forum/Palatine if they balk. One of the TA responders has their doubts about the coopculture staff who answer emails but in this case, I'm thinking you just might have a chance. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, eh?

I just got a reply from Coopculture.it about entering Roman
Forum-Palatine Hill before your scheduled time entrance to the
Colosseum. Their reply: "Yes, you can. Anyway, then you need to pass
the security pass of Colosseum 30 min in advance. "

Make a real effort not to miss your Colosseum entry time, OK? I'm quite sure they are not going to show any lenience for that, although it wouldn't affect your ability to enter the Forum/Palatine.

Posted by
3 posts

Kathy, yea I'm the same person over at TA. I get to Rome in the morning. The next day I start a 14-day guided tour (around 4pm), and they do go to the Colosseum, but not to the Forum/Palatine., so I just need the ticket for Forum/Palatine.

I'm trying to decide to book the time slot in the afternoon on the Rome arrival day. But with delays, I'm concerned I could miss this time slot. I could book the time slot the next day in the morning. I would have to do the Colosseum, Forum, Palatine in one day before 4pm, which at the least is 3 hrs. It could be a tight day with taking a taxi from hotel, and back to hotel (20 min each way).

Posted by
3 posts

Kathy great find. With all the searching, reading reviews, and getting advice in forums, this is the first I seen that they still offer the Forum/Palatine only ticket. Everything that I seen stated that they got rid of it. Thanks

Posted by
15863 posts

John, I was sure that there was an option just for the Forum/Palatine but somehow managed to miss the forest for the trees....or something like that. Maybe missed it as it was labeled just "Forum Pass" and didn't include Palatine in the heading? Anyway, it was bugging me so gave it another look-see and whattaya know, there it was! DOH! Happy that'll work for you!

Posted by
393 posts

Kathy, thank you for your comment about the ++ on the Coop page.
I finally got smart and did a F and found the ++ and clicked on it - I had never clicked on it before.
Slow learner.

Posted by
15863 posts

Naw, you're just fine, Evan. It's that stinkin' website: complicated and not exactly intuitive. 🙄

Posted by
5 posts

Kathy how do I find the info on when the tour tickets go on sale? I want to book April 29th or 30th and I can't find info anywhere!

Posted by
15863 posts

As I'd posted above:

The schedule for release of all varieties of Colosseum tickets + tours throughout the rest of the year is on the righthand column of this page: https://www.coopculture.it/en/events.cfm?id=6

Be sure and click the [++] sign at the bottom of the column to fully revel the schedules.
The Belvedere (4th and 5th levels) was closed awhile back for repairs and tours of that area are still unavailable.

Posted by
24 posts

I will be on the computer the morning of Feb 20 at 8:30 am (West Coast time) to buy the Guided tour for The full Experience tickets with schedule entrance time to the colosseum underground.

Can anyone tell me when is the best time to visit the Colosseum? Will late afternoon be better than mornings? I am planning to go to Borghese Gallery too on the same day but Colosseum will be my priority.

Thank you.

Posted by
15863 posts

Aimee, if your trip is in mid-June, I'd opt for going as early as possible in the morning to avoid the worst of the heat. There is some shade at this monument but I'd venture it can still be plenty hot and humid in mid-summer.

Just to add: for anyone interested in guided tours of JUST the public areas of the Colosseum (+ entry to the Forum and Palatine; no underground or 3rd ring), or the 3-hour tour of all three sites (does not include the underground or 3rd ring), this is the page you want:

https://ecm.coopculture.it/index.php?option=com_snapp&view=products&catalogid=9A88514C-DC20-8A7C-3680-0167A820AE56&snappTemplate=template3&lang=en

Posted by
24 posts

Thank you Kathy, I will book the earliest slot for my family, It will be on June 7th. I am planning to just tour the Colosseum on the 7th and go back to the Forum and Palatine Hill the next day. It is because June 8th is a Monday and nothing interesting is opened and we want to see the Borghese Gallery (I think I am going to book the 3:00 tour on June 7th and hoping to book Colosseum before 10 am on the 7th of June also) before going to Orvieto at 3:30pm on June 8th.