Please sign in to post.

Colosseum tickets

I would like to purchase advance tickets to the Colosseum to try to reduce our time waiting in line. From what I can tell, it looks like I will need to buy a guided tour to have the best chance of a shorter line. Does that sound right to others?

Or can we just purchase advance tickets? That will avoid the ticket line, but is the tour guide line much shorter than the line with no guided tours?
Rick's guidebook mentions a 12Euro combo ticket for the Colosseum and the Roman Forum.

Posted by
15797 posts

Julie, you don't have to buy a tour. You just need to buy a timed-entry ticket from the official website. This is the ticket you want.

http://ecm.coopculture.it/index.php?option=com_snapp&view=event&id=6C207193-B1F0-4F69-70C4-016523BDE15E&catalogid=1B972393-F85A-9A73-1906-0167A81DA806&lang=en

It is € 12,00 per adult ticket +€ 2,00 reservation fee ( € 14,00), and you will have to choose a specific day and available time slot. This ticket does not cover tours, audioguides, or access to parts of the arena which can only be accessed with a tour, and may not be available yet for the month you're going.

While this shortens the wait time, no one is able to skip the security-check queue so you need to arrive early. On the page I linked above, the coopculture website states:

It is strictly necessary to arrive at the dedicated access gate 30
minutes before the booked time, to pass security checks and to
complete entry procedures.

Your ticket also cover entry to the Forum and Palatine when you've finished with the arena. Hope this helps!

Posted by
1 posts

We are booking a private tour guide and he is asking for our birth dates to our purchase skip the line tickets to the Colosseum (and/or the Vatican?). None of us are under age 18 or students and I couldn't find anything online about this. Does anyone know if/why this is a requirement to purchase the tickets in advance? I see from other postings that it's a good idea (or required?) to carry a passport while we are in Italy. Thank you!

Posted by
15797 posts

....he is asking for our birth dates to our purchase skip the line
tickets to the Colosseum (and/or the Vatican?). None of us are under
age 18 or students and I couldn't find anything online about this.
Does anyone know if/why this is a requirement to purchase the tickets
in advance?

Sorry, no idea but I wouldn't worry about it. Do understand that NO one skips the security check queue at either venue.

I see from other postings that it's a good idea (or required?) to
carry a passport while we are in Italy.

Legally you are required to do so although some travelers still only carry copies. As security gets ever tighter throughout the world, we're more inclined to carry the originals than we used to be.