Please sign in to post.

Colosseum tickets

I am finding lots of companies for Colosseum tickets for our trip in April. I thought I found the direct link but now I am not so sure. Can anyone share the link to book direct? I have been stalking to see availability but April doesn't appear open yet. How do I book a free ticket for my 11 year old son? Thanks!

Posted by
25 posts

I too am trying to purchase for April. Getting a little worried about why they’re not on sale yet.

Posted by
15863 posts

It's normal for them not to be on sale yet for the next quarter (April - June). Sorry this is long and confusing but tons of verbiage to wade through has gotten to be pretty standard for the coopculture website:

https://www.coopculture.it/en/the-colosseum.cfm

On Monday, February 25th at 9:00 a.m.(ROME TIME!) it will be possible
to pre-purchase tickets with scheduled entrance time for the ordinary
access of the Colosseum and tickets with scheduled entrance time for
the Colosseum Arena, both online and via call center. Pre-sales
openings will be on a quarterly availability, for April, May and June

On the same date and time (Feb 25th at 9:00 AM) it will be open the
pre-sale for Underground and Belvedere, on a quarterly availability,
for April, May and June 2019 but just online.

Pre-sales will be open every first Monday of the month at 9:00 a.m.
according to monthly availability for the Colosseum Arena, Underground
scheduled time entrance, Underground tours for individuals in English,
Belvedere scheduled time entrance .

Pre-sales will be open every Monday at 9:00 am for Colosseum scheduled
time entrance and Colosseum Arena for the following week according to
the weekly availability.

"Free" tickets are booked through the website at the same time as paid tickets. There's a purchase selection for that. What day you want to get online or on the phone depends on what type of ticket you are wanting to book (e.g. tours versus "ordinary timed entrance") and for what month.

Posted by
38 posts

Thank you for the replies. Can you explain the differences between the tickets. I would like to see the arena floor and the panoramic view with skip the line. Thanks in advance!

Vatican tickets for our time frame are in a week so keeping an eye on those too. Looking forward to being back in Italy.

Posted by
15863 posts

Can you explain the differences between the tickets. I would like to
see the arena floor and the panoramic view with skip the line

Sorry, they've made so many changes to the ticketing options and procedures this past year that I've pretty much given up trying to sort them all. That said, you can't access either the panoramic levels or arena floor without a tour, and I don't believe there's a tour that includes just those two sections.. I believe you'd have to book a combo underground+ panoramic tour to access the arena floor too. That would be this tour (if desired in English):

http://ecm.coopculture.it/index.php?option=com_snapp&view=event&id=49E975FB-0042-5AF5-1520-016224C20939&catalogid=B7ADDE29-0155-9558-2226-0167A84A3314&lang=en

For adult, you want to choose "Full entrance" tickets, and they 'll be € 29.00 pp. This includes the regular entry ticket that is also good for the Palatine/Forum.

Do be aware that there is no such thing as a true "skip the line" ticket for the Colosseum or for the Vatican Museums either. While pre-purchased tickets allow you to skip long ticket lines, everyone MUST pass the the security check queue. In the case of the Colosseum, that can take some time but shortening waits/managing ever increasing crowds is one of the reasons they've made so many ticketing changes/restrictions in the past year or so. Unless things have changed a great deal since last season, I would plan arrive 30-45 minutes before your scheduled tour.

Posted by
38 posts

Thanks so much for all the information! I wanted the arena and colosseum levels plus panoramic so that is perfect! Getting excited to go!