Please sign in to post.
Posted by
15825 posts

Hi Dennis -

I don't know what the "mystery" is without knowing what dates and what tickets you're trying to buy?

I can tell you that the one website - https://colosseo.it/en/ - is an official info site that's only active during the hours, Rome time, that the attractions it covers are open. The other site - which is the official ticketing site - has been wonky lately due to some sort of fraud attack they've been sorting out but appears to be working for me at the moment.

Posted by
6 posts

I was able to booking a couple of weeks ago with no problem. Try booking during Rome hours as recommended before. My tickets were confirmed and emailed to me.

Posted by
15825 posts

Great that you got tickets, Andrea!
Just a mention that it's only the https://colosseo.it/en/ site that only comes up during hours the Colosseum + other related attractions are open. If you click the "Buy Ticket" buttons on that website, it throws you into the ticketing site: Coopculture. That one is active 24/7, and they appear to have fixed the wonky-ness, at least for my IP! :O)

You can go directly to Coopculture's site without going through the other one.

Posted by
6093 posts

August is way too far in advance

That is a third party reseller tour site that might sell you a tour now but can’t guarantee they actually get the tickets

I’d buy from the official sites posted above

Posted by
33 posts

I recently purchased but had to use a friend to do it. I kept getting this error message that was basically telling me my IT address was blocked.

My local Rome tour guide said I wasn’t the only one having issues.

My friend hadn’t ever visited the site but has traveled a lot so he figures it out and had my information.

I wish I knew why it worked for him and not for me. I only had success on the site when connected to a WIFI 30+ min away from my house.

Posted by
15825 posts

I kept getting this error message that was basically telling me my IT
address was blocked.

Yes, they evidently were experiencing a fraud attack and had closed off some IP addresses - including mine - while they were trying to figure out where it was coming from. Last I checked, I was able to get into the website again.

Posted by
48 posts

I've read that all the tickets get snapped up by bots and resold through touring companies. From what I've seen, there are only 2 days in the next 30 that have any availability at all from the coopculture website. And that is about 5 spots combined.

Am I missing something here? Is everyone easily getting tickets from that website somehow? Thanks. My trip is in June but looking at March for practice.

Posted by
48 posts

Clarification, I was looking at the underground access tickets. It seems that the full experience tickets are in greater supply. Maybe it's just the underground that is the problem?

Posted by
27156 posts

The tickets with underground access are a real challenge, with tickets seemingly evaporating in a very few minutes (if not mere seconds) after they go on sale. It's a very common complaint on this forum.

Posted by
48 posts

Thanks for the reply. Are they released on a rolling schedule hour by hour or all at once?

Posted by
27156 posts

That I don't know, but someone else will. I know they are in the process of switching ticket agents, so what happened in the past may not be what happens in the future. I'd recommend continuing to check the Colosseum website as well as this forum for news.

Posted by
674 posts

Just to make a complicated situation even more so, if you “continue to check the colosseum website” you will get locked out. I was periodically looking at the calendar and how many tickets were available — not even attempting to actually purchase tickets. Suddenly I got the “you have been locked out” message. It refuses to allow me access based on my Internet address— and I wasn’t even checking that frequently. (Some people have been able to work around this by turning off wi fi and using cellular data, but it hasn’t worked for me). I’ve waited 2 weeks and tried again but same error screen.

I’ve been able to check the calendar a couple of times recently — once from a doctors waiting room and once from the library — but I’m still trying to figure out where I can go at 2 a.m. the day our tickets will be released in order to make a purchase. There are a number of articles about this situation on the internet. Someone created a firewall to block bots and it’s ended up blocking lots of people who were just calendar checking. And since Coop Culture loses its ticket license in June, they have no incentive to try to fix the problem.

Posted by
34 posts

I will be looking to purchase tickets for the colosseum only, no tour, no underground
Is this difficult to secure?

Posted by
674 posts

Margie, I think you should be okay but definitely try to book as soon as you can once the tickets for your date become available. We are locked in to having to try to purchase early morning tickets because we have engaged a private guide for a half day, and these are hard to get, but it seems like most dates I’ve checked have at least some late morning, mid afternoon to late afternoon availability. There are definitely some dates in April completely sold out of everything but hopefully as long as you can book as early as possible once your tickets become available you should be okay.

Posted by
27156 posts

Ruth, my neighborhood supermarket (a Safeway) has Wi-Fi. I don't know for sure, but I doubt they turn it off overnight. (I don't think it's a 24-hour-a-day store.) You also might have good luck at your public library.

Posted by
674 posts

acraven — thanks. Library has been where I’m checking currently but they’re not open 24/7.
Currently we’re thinking of asking a neighbor if they wouldn’t mind sharing their network— we’ve lived next door to each other for 20+ years and I’d certainly say yes to them if they’re in a similar situation. There’s also the possibility of driving to the office but I can’t imagine a 2:00 a.m. entry wouldn’t set off alarms. 🤣

Posted by
7 posts

I, too, am having difficulty figuring out how to purchase Colosseum tickets. I need them for June 2, which I know is currently too early. However, I have been able to access CoopCulture's link but it only shows tickets thru April 30. By now, the first 4-5 days of May should have been posted. I am concerned that CoopCulture will no longer be issuing tickets after April 30. I understand that CNS is the new ticket provider going forward (as of date?) but I have been unable to find any link or info on this. When accessing CoopCulture, there is a statement that "for May tickets, go to the Colosseum website". Unfortunately, the Colosseum website is still connected to the CoopCulture link, making it a "round robin"/circular failure. We leave for Europe May 3, so I am getting a little nervous not having found the correct process to use. Does anyone have any updated info or assistance.?
Thank you, Cathie

Posted by
7 posts

P.S.: the same issue is occurring on CoopCulture link for the Terme di Caracalla. Nothing listed after Aprl 30.

Posted by
17 posts

Yes, was researching mid May tickets (a bit early but wanted information). This is listed on a Tripadvisor post and I also saw this information on the current Colosseum website: "The second box says: "If you plan to visit from May 1st 2024, click here. That leads to a screen that says "work in progress": https://ticketing.colosseo.it" Good luck to all of us trying to get May and later tickets!

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you SO much! That works. May is showing with some availability.
Kind regards, Cathie

Posted by
174 posts

I bought the €24 "Full experience" with entry to the Arena at the Colosseum, plus the Palatine Hill, Forum and SUPER SITES (museums on Palatine Hill and at the Forum) that's good for TWO DAYS. I highly recommend it. I did my first morning at the Colosseum and my second morning at Palatine Hill. You won't get Arena access on the €18 ticket and you need to use it within 24 hrs. Doing both all in one day can be exhausting. I suggest going early to Palatine Hill/Forum. I was at the entrance across from the Colosseum at 9 am and there was absolutely no one in line. I felt like I had the whole park to myself. Just a tip. Go when it opens. By the way, there's an elevator on the northeast corner of the Colosseum for 65+ or those with disabilities to get to Tier 2.

Posted by
7 posts

This latest issue: now that the Colosseum has changed ticket agents, as of May 1, the new website no longer offers tickets that include the Underground. The explanation on the website states that now only guides are able to purchase those tickets and are to do so by calling a given phone number. That seems to imply that in order to be able to tour the Underground, one must now buy one of the $125 - $200 third party guide services tickets.
Anyone know of an alternate way?
Thanks, Cathie

Posted by
11 posts

I just purchased ticket this morning at 2:45am for the Underground Colosseum tour. Use the new website, it will put you in a virtual queue. MIne varied from 3 to 4 to 1 minute, the finally got to the reservation page. Click on "single" for under 8 people; you purchase a "ticket" then must also choose "guide" to complete a guided tour ticket. The cost is E32 per person. Worked very well, and several times were available for my date of 9 May, exactly 30 days out from today.

Posted by
26 posts

I see there is this option for 24 euros: "FULL EXPERIENCE - UNDERGROUND LEVELS AND ARENA" as well as this version for 32 euros: "FULL EXPERIENCE - UNDERGROUND LEVELS AND ARENA - GUIDED TOUR." Is it worth the extra cost to visit the underground? If you've done that, did you do that with the guided tour? I'm assuming it's only worth the extra time and expense to do that with a tour and that that the tour includes other the main level of the Colosseum too. I've been twice before, but this time coming up in August I'm leaning towards a tour (or at least Rick Steve's audio tour) to make it come alive more. Also, what is the latest morning time recommended to book for before it gets crazy crowded in high season?

Posted by
513 posts

The new system seems to be much better than the old--easier to use.