Please sign in to post.

Colosseum at night

We were unable to get tickets to the Colosseum for mid-June. Without a private tour company, the only tickets available are for the night tour in Italian. We don't speak Italian, but would like your opinion as to whether this may still be a good option, just to be able to gain access, even if we can't understand what's being said. Maybe we could just use an audioguide?

Posted by
6 posts

I have not done a night tour. But we are in Rome currently and a month ago we were in the same boat as you, having not booked Coliseum tickets and they were sold out except through tour groups. We ended up booking a group tour through one of the companies RS recommends (Walks) and it was excellent. Not only was our entrance expedited, but it was really fascinating to hear the history while viewing it. It was well worth the cost to us. Tonight we went back to see it from the outside lit up at night (on our own, no guide) and that was its own unique experience as well. Good luck!

Posted by
1593 posts

Photographing the Colosseum at night is on my list to do next month. At what times is it lit?

Posted by
466 posts

We will be in Rome in July. Hoping on the 18th to see Colosseum and Forum. We are a family group…6 adults 5 grade school kids. We are thinking it’s not likely possible to snag 11 tickets thru Colosseum ticket website….trying on the 30 day window…Rome time 9:00 am?? Slim to none. We adults have been inside the Colosseum before…but the kids do hope to. Also to see the Forum….but if I remember one can (maybe) view parts of it from some public surrounding free walkways? Just hate to pay $$ for tour groups and our group is losing it in the heat and crowds and are done.

Posted by
466 posts

After my reply…..Maybe a night tour is a good option after all? It may be the only way in without a major more expensive tour. Even if in Italian? Hmmmm?

Posted by
6 posts

At least the night tour won't be hot and presumably less crowded. Should be an amazing experience.

Posted by
466 posts

Yes….My thoughts also. Was it on coopculture…the official Colosseum website you were looking at?

Posted by
466 posts

Ok. Well….I will check when our 30 day window come up soon and see what might be available. Maybe being flexible in times and or in other languages offered? Thanks for any new ways to see this amazing place!?