Please sign in to post.

Colosseum

I am going to Rome for a day trip. I have a tour scheduled for the Vatican/St. Peters but will be on my own for the Colosseum. I don't want to wait in line. How can I get tickets online that will allow me to skip the line? Thanks.

Posted by
32318 posts

Michelle, It's been a few years since I last visited the Colosseum, but on the last occasion I used the suggestion in the Guidebook. Walk up Palatine Hill and buy a combo ticket in the less crowded ticket booth there (I believe it costs €12). That also includes the Forum and Palatine Hill. You could also pay for one of the "official" guided tours (€5 + Colosseum ticket). I've taken the guided tour there and thought it was excellent. They used headsets, so that everyone in the group could hear the Guide. Finally, you could buy a Roma Pass either in the tobacco shop in the Colosseo Metro station, or other locations in Rome. Of the three options, my suggestion would be the official guided tour. I feel it's a great value! One final point to mention. You may be approached by "guides" outside the Colosseum offering "English language tours". I've heard from others that these are usually more expensive than the official tour, and the quality of the tours is not always that good. Happy travels!

Posted by
4152 posts

You can book tickets or a tour directly through the official site which allows you to bypass the lines outside. There are actually two different tours you can take, one of the main levels of the colosseum and one of the underground and third tier. You must book the underground/third tier tour ahead of time as it's a very popular tour and fills up quickly. http://www.ticketclic.it/Gb/HTML/musei/colosseo.cfm For the underground tour use the "collect onsite" option. For entry tickets just use the print at home option. Both will allow you to bypass the lines. Donna