Please sign in to post.

Colosseum

Has anyone ever done the Colosseum night tour? We are arriving into Italy Oct 9 at 215 pm and going directly to hotel. I didn’t want to waste an afternoon so I thought either a HopOnHopOff bus tour around the city and stop at pantheon and Trevi Fountain, or do the colosseum night tour. Thank you for any advice .
Marie

Posted by
267 posts

Hi Marie. My wife did the night tour in August. A great disappointment. I just posted a review of it on this forum with details.

Posted by
16409 posts

Marie, I've been traveling so I'm coming in very late here but I will not recommend taking the HOHO buses in Rome. We've not done them but I've been watching the reviews for many years and ratings are lukewarm at best. The buses will not get you to to places like Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon and other locations that are buried in pedestrian-only areas. Other complaints include dirty vehicles, broken equipment, surly staff, confusing pick-up points and buses too full to pick up passengers at some of the stops. They can also get held up in dense Rome traffic.

It's much more enjoyable to just walk between many locations and, depending on what those are, you might get to some of them faster on foot than by bus or metro.

One other thing to avoid on arrival day is ANY pre-scheduled tour. Delayed or cancelled flights can throw a wench in that machinery, and tour operators will not refund your pre-payment if that happens. LOL, we just came from a week traveling to a favorite U.S. city, and a passenger's medical issue during taxi to takeoff from our home airport - and a necessary return to the terminal - caused many on our plane to miss a critical connection. What would have taken us 8 hours or less from A to B took us 16 hours and some creative work-arounds to get to our destination on the day we'd pre-booked our accommodations and car for.