Please sign in to post.

Colors of blouses

Well, I leave next Wednesday and I am still reading every one's suggestions. I've looked over my clothes-pants I think I got it but now I am rethinking my blouses. From what I have been reading everyone says dark colors. I am bringing my favorite LL Bean 3/4 sleeve linen shirts and the colors are yellow, royal blue, green, peach, fusia and hot pink. My pants/capri's are either navy or black. Is that too bright? I'm not going to "blend in" much traveling with in a guided tour of Italy. Wendy

Posted by
1317 posts

Dark colors are usually suggested because they hold up better for traveling, i.e., they don't show dirt as easily. I might also be a little worried about linen getting too wrinkled but if that's not a problem for you, go for it. :)

Posted by
833 posts

If your goal isn't to fit in, then don't worry too much about the colors. Those are much brighter (with the exception of royal blue) than most Italians will be wearing, but wear what you would like.

Posted by
1883 posts

Who cares but you? wear what you own, and go enjoy. You will only see these people in cities once in your life. If they don't like what you have on, too bad, and you will never know it if they happen to comment on your clothing! It's not like someone is going to walk up to you and ask you about your choice of color of a shirt! : > ) If you are on a guided trip, probably 1/2 of the group will have bright colors, and the rest will be the "recommended" black. How boring for them! At least you wont' get lost in a crowd. And - you are going to be in groups all the time anyway, the other bus people will wear colors like you as well. Stop second guessing yourself. If you are comfortable with your choices, pack them and don't look back - go enjoy yourself! The linen shirts you are taking sound great to me, I love the look of linen when it's a bit wrinkled, and linen can be a nice cool fabric to wear for the temps you will encounter. When in doubt - bring a dark colored lightweight sweater to cover your brighter color shirts !!

Posted by
34 posts

Great-they stay in:) I did a "prewash" test and if I burrito roll the water out, lay it flat and "wipe the wrinkles" its not too bad at all. My mother questions my choice of linen (she is linen old school) but they dry fast and l and are comfy. Thanks. I may pull the yellow and hot pink tho and throw in 2 polo type shirts instead.

Posted by
109 posts

Let's turn this clothing issue around. If you were at Disney World and you saw a well-behaved Italian young person wearing their AC Milan jersey, would you give it a second thought? Of course not. (They even sell AC Milan jerseys at the outlet mall in Orlando.) As long as the clothing is appropriate, most people, Italian or not, don't give it a second thought. If you're in a tour group, most people are going to recognize you as a tourist. My concern is more behavior related. Courtesy and a smile go a long way, as does a bit of empathy during the busy tourist season. I know there are ugly American tourists because I've seen them. When I do see them, and the treatment they usually get, it makes me resolve to be nicer to others.

Posted by
34 posts

Dan,
Thank you very much. What a great way to put it. I agree about being courteous, polite, patient and respectful. I travel every summer to Bonaire, NA to scuba and I see alot of rude Americans and Dutch. Now to chose a jacket(s)!!

Posted by
33 posts

We were in Italy last fall and after returning we decided we worried too much about what we wore. We saw everything. Got to thinking about people who visit the U.S. We were always appropriate for the venue. Bright colors were everywhere. Be polite, enjoy the people and their customes because that is more important than clothing.

Posted by
162 posts

Wendy, I was there in March and I dressed like I do here in Philly, dark jeans or pants, all colors of the rainbow in shirts, sweaters and blouses, flats, stilettos, flat boots, etc..and fit in fine...I was even spoken to in Italian numerous times!! I also seen plenty of Roman women wearing crazy colored jeans, shirts, coat,s etc... Wear what you wear, have fun and enjoy Italy!! Forget about fashion, enjoy the experience!!!! CIAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by
15607 posts

Okay, maybe it's just me, but when I think Italian and food, I think little red spots between my neck and my lap. So dark colors for dinner :-)