Please sign in to post.

clothing

What are women travelers (age 50's) wearing in Rome and Florence, Italy? Are shorts appropriate and if so, what length?

Posted by
5 posts

Grazie; I have the shoes and longish skirts for churches. I wanted to wear some shorts for other parts of italy and didn't want to stand out too much.

Posted by
4152 posts

Shorts are fine for normal touring and I would suggest at least mid calf to knee length. For visiting churches knees and shoulders will need to be covered so shorts won't do. Capris are a good choice. Other than that, wear what is most comfortable for you. There's no need for a special wardrobe, what ever you would wear during a normal day out should be fine. I would suggest investing in a really good pair of walking shoes and being sure to have them broken in well before the trip. The cobbles are murder on the feet. Donna

Posted by
33 posts

Just a funny note - I had told my husband about how Italians don't wear shorts much at all (I wore capris, a mid-length skirt, and only wore shorts while hiking the cinque terre). At a train station in a small town, he eyed some local female teenagers wearing VERY short shorts, and said, "I guess they didn't get the message!" :) Oh, I forgot - I actually wore shorts for part of a day in Rome because it was hot, but my sandals were bothering my feet (even though I did break them in), so I had to wear sneakers, and didn't want to wear a skirt with sneakers. I didn't feel self-conscious at all - we were in mobs of tourists (no mistaking us for locals), and it was HOT. We took an afternoon siesta, and when we went out in the evening, I wore the skirt and sandals.