Please sign in to post.

Clothing

Are jeans acceptable attire in all regions of Italy?

Posted by
3521 posts

Took the RS Best of Italy Tour last year. I wore jeans nearly every day. I saw other people (not just tourists) wearing jeans everywhere we went.

Posted by
15269 posts

Yes, and nobody will care or even pay attention at what you wear.

Having said that, I don't like to pack blue jeans for going to Italy because:
- Blue Jeans are bulkier and take too much space in my bag.
- in summer they are too damn hot for sweltering Italy
- in winter they don't really shelter you from the freezing cold
- Blue jeans are not as versatile as pants of other material and color, they can't be passed for more formal attire when you need to go to less informal events. A pair of beige or dark color cotton pants can.

Other than that, they are great.

Posted by
15863 posts

Yes. My husband and I wore them all the time in Italy.

Posted by
10261 posts

Yes, jeans are fine. I always take a pair.

Posted by
1625 posts

Absolutely, but Jeans are not limited to 'blue jeans". Hubby takes a pair of dark charcoal and a light sliver/grey (Levi Brand sold at Macys) and I take a pair of Dark Blue (light blue can look kinda dumpy on me) and black. Jeans can also come in various weights so pick the one that suits you best. Being female I can wear a pair of tights under Jeans for added heat, but sometimes it is too much heat. My jeans usually have lycra in them so they are stretchy, making them super comfortable. I actually have a pair that are capris, but when rolled down are more of a skinny jean look. I wore them as Capri's in Italy during the warmer weather and rolled down with tights under in colder France.

Posted by
2123 posts

I agree with Roberto. I don't take jeans to Europe because of bulk and weight.

Posted by
2768 posts

Women's jeans, at least, come in lighter weight fabric with some stretch. Mine are just as light as a chino or other regular pant. Plus the slim leg takes up less room than a standard dress pant. Men's jeans haven't caught up as much, but some are lighter than others.

As for fashion, if you care - yes jeans are worn all over. No problem except maybe at a 5 star restaurant. More fitted rather than baggy, unless you are very young and go for a trendy look.

Posted by
15863 posts

Mira, my jeans are pretty lightweight and don't take up much room either.

Posted by
1625 posts

My jeans are thin also and do not take up any more room than a skirt. My Husbands jeans are light weight also, he is traveling not working construction no need for the Thick 501's or heavier. He was comfortable and looked well arraigned. We do carry on only and we never wash our jeans while traveling, maybe spot clean if needed.

Posted by
3812 posts

Sorry everybody, but am I the only one who wonders why the OP was in doubt?