Please sign in to post.

Civitavecchia to Rome

We are arriving on a cruise ship in Civitavecchia. What is the best way to get to Rome? We will be staying there for several days. Cruise line charges $91.00 pp for transfers !!
Thanks for all the help
Nancy in Gulf Shores

Posted by
247 posts

Nancy, Just take the train. The station is a short walking distance from the port, you'll see many people walking I'm sure. I can't remember exact but I don't think the train was more then $12.
Have fun, Jo

Posted by
156 posts

The shuttle from the ship will take you to the port entrance and its about a 10 minute walk along the promenade to the station. Ask for a BIRG ticket which cost 9 euro each last September and also gave you free transport in Rome. The train takes about an hour and would suggest you get off at the station for St Peters instead of going to Termini. That way you can avoid long lineups and get into the Basilica early before the crowds. We then didnt want to wait 4 hours in line for the Sistine chapel so we returned about 2.30pm and only waited 20 minutes.

Posted by
536 posts

Nancy - Everyone is correct - The train - very simple and easy ride.
In Rome an excellent Hotel is -
http://www.hotelforte.com/en/index.htm
Located directly at The Spanish Steps and easy walking to The Via Veneto, The Trevi Fountain, and The Roman Forum. My friends Emanuel and Emanuella run the front desk and will help you with any requests. On The Via Veneto you can pick up an open air bus and see the major sites in a few hours, getting off and back on as often as you like.

Ciao, Greg

Posted by
8 posts

Many thanks to all of you for the information.
It's so nice to know that I can always count on the Rick Steves community for help.
Nancy

Posted by
492 posts

I would say it depends on where you are staying. I wold take the train or share a car service. If you can get a group of 6-8 to share a car service into Rome, it can be easier to do that. We usually stay in Piazza Navona area so for us its easier to share a car service. They drop you right where you are staying. Cruisecritic.com has ways of meeting up with others on your cruise to share tours and rides. We've used romecabs.com multiple times with great results.