Please sign in to post.

Civitavecchia to FCO

We will be on a cruise ending in the port of Civitavecchia. What is the best way to get to FCO airport?
Ship’s transfer ($69 pp), train, taxi, private driver? Appreciate your guidance and experience on this. Thanks in advance!

Posted by
23266 posts

Someone recently posted that there is now a local bus to the airport but am not familiar with the bus. Civit is about an hour and somewhat NW (mostly west) from Rome. FCO is 30 mins from Rome to the SW. It is about an hour between Civit and FCO is you take a taxi or bus directly. When you get off the ship there will be dozens of taxis waiting to take you anywhere. The fare to Rome is around 125 euro and would guess that the fare to the airport directly would about the same.

The common public transit route is to take a train from Civit to Termini (Rome) and the Leonard Express out to the airport. At best that is a three hour trip or more when taking in accounting waiting for the next train, etc. The good part is that the train station in Civit.. is convenient to the port. The bad part is that all of the cruise ship passengers turns the little station into a zoo. Our normal practice is to spend a couple of days in Rome prior to returning so we delay getting off the ship and not fighting crowds. This is one time that the convenience of the ship transport could be worth the price. It will take you from dock side to the airport entrance easily and quickly especially if you are hauling a lot of luggage.

PS. There is a way to skip going all the way into Termini and I will explain it if you decided to do that. It is not substantially quicker but does require carrying your luggage up and down stairs. The big key is how much do you have.

Posted by
2705 posts

If there are two of you or more and you have more than just carry on luggage the ship transfer is worth it.

Posted by
1075 posts

I second the ship excursion option simply because if there are multiple ships in port that day, I have heard stories of people not being able to get on the trains because they are full since everyone is doing the same thing. By pre-booking the bus from the cruise ship to the airport, you may pay more, but you are definitely guaranteed a seat.