Please sign in to post.

Cinqueterre

Hello,

I'm planning to visit Cinqueterre May, 3 adults.
First we stayed in Milan not sure 1 or 2 nights , then train or car to Cinqueterre, what do you recommend.
I was looking at cinqueterre hotels and there are not many option and also prices a little bit expensive.
I need help, is a good idea to stay in Levanto. So if I stay there do you recommend have a car from milan or is not neccesary.
Do I need to book trains here before arrive or in Italy.
3 night will be enough to visit the 5 towns.
From levanto to village by train or can I walk??

after cinqueterre we'll go to Florence

thanks

Posted by
1829 posts

Like most everywhere it is usually worth it to stay there rather than commute in
Hotels in the 5 towns are more like B&B's and they are limited in number add a may date and i imagine almost filled up
If you do stay in one of the 5 towns so not drive from Milan take the train

3 nights would be a good amount of time to see the 5 towns if not leaving the area

You could stay outside in another town where hotel choice will be wider and value better and take trains easily enough but miss out on some atmosphere I feel

Local trains need not be purchased in advance the one from Milan may be cheaper if you do but then you have a schedule to keep so you don't have to purchase in advance

Car also unless in Florence so train is way to get there as well

Posted by
32171 posts

gabriela,

A few thoughts on your questions.....

I'd suggest using a train to the Cinque Terre. There are direct (no changes) trains from Milan to Monterosso and that's about the quickest method. A car in the Cinque Terre is about as useful as a boat anchor!

There are lots of different hotels and other lodgings in the five towns, and staying in Monterosso will provide the greatest number of choices. It's important to book well in advance, so you'll need to get something booked soon!

You could certainly stay in Levanto as it's very easy to get from there to the five Cinque Terre towns. The trip from Levanto to Monterosso is only about 5 minutes on the local trains. I wouldn't recommend "walking" between the towns unless you're in good shape, as some of the trails are more of a robust hike than a walk.

Yes, three nights is adequate to see the five towns. They're all very close together, and the trip from one town to another by train only takes a few minutes.

You can easily buy your tickets when in Italy, either from a Kiosk or a staffed ticket office. You'll need to know the exact names of the stations you'll be using. For example, you'll be departing from Milano Centrale. The only reason to buy tickets in advance is for the advance purchase discounts on the fast trains, but for travel in May I suspect those will be sold out. There are no discounts on the Regionale trains, so just as easy to buy those in italy, but DON'T forget to validate those tickets prior to boarding the train on the day of travel, or you'll risk hefty fines.

The trip from the Cinque Terre to Florence is also very easy, about 2.5 hours with one or two train changes. Your destination station in Florence will be Firenze S.M. Novella.

Posted by
64 posts

We stayed in an apartment in Monterosso as there was 7 of us...we wanted beachside with a beautiful view And it was great cheaper than the hotels ... 3 days is good .. The area is so relaxing and peaceful ..love it

Posted by
1231 posts

Is this for May 2016 or 2017? If 2016, it will be difficult to get a room. Yes, 3 nights is good!

Posted by
53 posts

Hello,

someone can recommend a b7B or Hote in cinqueterre 3 adults .
May 15,2016 3 nights

thanks

Posted by
53 posts

Thanks so much.
I'm trying to find accommodation in CT and no availability.
To visit CT which one of this are better option Santa Margherita Ligure or Levanto.
We really like to see 5 towns
May 2016

thanks

Posted by
7175 posts

Levanto is closer (approx 5 mins by train from Monterosso) but Santa Margherita Ligure is about twice the size with more hotels, and being a little further away may offer greater availability for accommodation.
I would check for both towns on expedia and booking.com

Posted by
32171 posts

gabriela,

I wouldn't suggest staying in Santa Margherita Ligure, as it's too far from the towns of the Cinque Terre, and you'd waste too much time with transportation back and forth. If you can't find accommodations in one of the five towns, Levanto would be a good choice as it's only about 5 minutes by train from Monterosso.

At this late date, it's going to be difficult to find lodgings in the five Cinque Terre towns, but it's possible you may still be able to find something. I don't know where you've tried so far, but here are some possibilities you could check in Monterosso.....

I've stayed in a few of the places in the above list, and as far as I know the others are also excellent.

Good luck!