Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre vs. Lake Como

I am planning to spend some time in Italy next April. Because of time constraints I think I'll have to chose between a couple of days in Lake Como or Cinque Terre but not both. Any thoughts on this?
Thank you.

Posted by
612 posts

I liked both, but I would choose Lake Como (we stayed at Varenna).

Posted by
4900 posts

I support Lake Como and Varenna. Much less crowded, serene, and beautiful! Safe travels!

Posted by
11265 posts

Where else in Italy will you be?
"When" in the trip will it be?

If you have time constraints it might be best to go to whichever is closer/easier to get to.

Posted by
14082 posts

I agree with Joe. While I like the Lake Como (Varenna) area better than Cinque Terre, it would totally depend on your itinerary as to which would work out better.

Although I'm not sure about April for Varenna?

Posted by
232 posts

Can you please give more details about you and your interests? Do you like to hike? Where are you going before this stop? Where are you going after? What is your travel group make up? Adults only or kids coming too? What part of April?

Without this info, it’s hard to give you a thorough answer and responses will be more about the responders’ preferences and less about you.

Both are wonderful places to stop and spend time and are beautiful. The hiking in Cinque Terre is amazing but it will likely have larger crowds. Lake Como will be probably be more peaceful and relaxing.

Posted by
2195 posts

I was just in Varenna a couple of weeks ago and was disappointed to find that, in my opinion, it has been "Cinque Terre -ized." Okay, it's been 15 years since I was there (in late May), but I was astounded at the crowds. I can't really offer an opinion on which to choose.

Posted by
4909 posts

Agree with Joe and Pam. Since time constraints are a factor, pick the one that enables you to make the best use of your limited time. If time were not a factor, I'd opt for Lake Como -- but that's just me.

Posted by
4900 posts

I was in Lake Como this past May, and also in April ( precovid) delightful both times, with manageable crowds. I think this summer was miserable all over Europe.
I'm going back!

Posted by
32227 posts

George,

I think either location would be good, but I'm leaning slightly towards the Cinque Terre as I think April might be a bit cool on Lago di Como. If the weather is good, the Cinque Terre will provide a good base to explore that part of the Italian Riviera. April is towards the start of the tourist season, so hopefully it won't be inundated yet with the cruise ship hordes.

Of course as others have mentioned, which location to choose will depend on how each of them fits in with your overall Itinerary.