Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre vs. Amalfi Coast

Traveling to Europe for probably about 3 weeks and hitting Switzerland and Italy I am trying to figure out if it is worth stopping at both Cinque Terre and Amalfi or if one is better than the other. Would you suggest either as a day trip or should I arrange my trip to give me a few days at both?

Posted by
4473 posts

It really just depends on the entire itinerary and how much time you have. Pompeii was a priority for me as well as the Amalfi Coast, so that was an easy decision. There is excellent hiking at both, crowding issues at both as well.
What time of year? Do you like hiking?

Posted by
11247 posts

After seeing your other post, I strongly suggest you do CT vs Amalfi. Amalfi coast is too far out of the way from all your other destinations.

Neither is really a 'day trip'.

Posted by
15861 posts

The "worth it" question for either place depends on what sorts of things you're interested in doing when you get there?

But looking at your other post (3 weeks for Rome, Florence, Venice & either Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast, Lucerne, Interlaken & Zermatt, possibly Geneva) you don't have time for the Amalfi as it's too far out of the way and requires more time than you probably can give it.

The CT is best NOT done as a day trip from Florence during high season...which is when you plan on traveling. Book your accommodation well in advance: late fall/early winter isn't too soon. Give it at least two nights.

Posted by
4 posts

@valadelphia
yes, I love hiking. partly to why I want to go to both CT and Amalfi. I will be traveling mid/late May 2020.

Posted by
792 posts

Both are beautiful but if you prefer to do a lot of hiking, I prefer Le Cinque Terre, really Liguria in general. In addition to CT, I love some of the hikes on the Portofino peninsula (and you don't have to stay in Portofino, you can stay in Santa Margherita Ligure, Camogli, possibilities are endless). With the trains, it is logistically easier to get around the area and you have many hiking options open to you with varying levels of difficulty via walk or a short train ride. Trail heads and paths are very well marked.

In Sorrento and along the Amalfi coast, transportation between towns is much more difficult and takes longer. Therefore, to get to the start of a hike can be much more involved. For example, the footpath of the Gods, the most popular hike in the area, begins in a town above Amalfi (where you would need a bus or car to get there, an hour ride) and ends in a town above Positano (bus or many many many steep stairs). There are other branches and trails but stopping/starting points can be even more remote and/or trail difficulty increases. With the exception of the foothpath of the gods, the trails are not as well marked. Of course the hikes and the views are beautiful. But for a short trip, Liguria is just logistically easier. If you do choose to go to the Amalfi coast, a really helpful book for me was "Walking the Amalfi Coast" from Cicerone. It gives a nice comprehensive list of available walks in each city with time and difficulty level and pretty good descriptions of how to get there.

Posted by
4473 posts

I agree with the others, you may be a bit overambitious with your three weeks (lucky you, so much time, but don't pack in too much). It will depend on the ultimate itinerary, but both places can be time consuming to get to. Only go if you can give it at least two full days.
They are both great for hiking, so it really depends on what makes the most of your time. The Amalfi Coast is somewhere I would want more time because there is so much in that area--Naples, Pompeii, etc.
I found the hikes in CT very crowded--like a conga line. However, if you get way up onto the upper trails, you can find respite. See the park website for trail descriptions. On the Amalfi Coast, some of the trails have easy access, some require using a bus or taxi to get to trail heads.