Please sign in to post.

cinque terre vs amalfi coast

I have been planning a trip that includes Rome and Tuscany and Cinque Terre but am now wondering if I should go down to Amalfi Coast/Sorrento/Capri instead of Cinque Terre. Thinking MAYBE CT is too "rustic" for my husband but first choice might be a better itinerary. If I do Amalfi, what would be the best itinerary (not sure about getting from Rome or Tuscany to Sorrento).Trip is in Mid April. Any thoughts/ideas would be very much appreciated and helpful.

Posted by
32222 posts

Kathy, Especially if time is a concern, I'd suggest staying with the Cinque Terre and northern Italy, as the transportation will be much easier to work out. The Amalfi Coast and Sorrento really need more time (IMO), so I'd plan for that on a future trip. The Cinque Terre and Amalfi Coast are quite different. The C.T. is somewhat "rustic" but that's part of it's charm. It's a great place to practice Il dolce far niente, and just enjoy the moment (and of course some excellent Pesto and Sciacchetra, which is produced in the area). The Amalfi Coast is more "upscale" and the ambience is different than the C.T. If you're planning to rent a car, note that EACH driver will require the compulsory International Driver's Permit, which is used in conjunction with your home D.L. You'll also have to be VERY careful to avoid the dreaded ZTL areas (expensive tickets!). Good luck with your planning!

Posted by
7580 posts

I guess it depends on what you are looking for and how many days you are looking to plan for that leg of the trip. Mid April will not have the crush of crowds that you would see through the summer, but most everything should be open and running. The CT would be quieter, but less to do, some hiking, eating, wine, basically kicking back. The Amalfi would have more to see and do (Positano, Pompeii, Heraculeum, Museums, Pizza, etc.) If your time in Tuscany is just relaxing, the Amalfi might be a change in pace. Time, as I mentioned is the other factor. From Tuscany, you could do the CT in as little as two nights (You could even day trip to just take a look and have lunch), to go to Sorrento and the surrounding area, I would plan at least 3 nights, maybe 4 or more denpending what you want to do, realizing that travel from Tuscany to Sorrento will take up a good part of a day and part of a day getting back to Rome. Figure a day just seeing the towns, a day for Pompeii and the Arch. Museum, another day for Capri, then a day or two to relax. So far as travel, from Tuscany, get to Rome (or Florence) then fast train to Naples followed by a bus or there is a private rail line, the Circumvesuvia, from the Naples train station to Sorrento (it also stops near Pompeii). Buses get you to towns along the coast, ferry to Capri.

Posted by
15269 posts

You can also take the train all the way to Salerno and backtrack from Salerno up to the Amalfi coast by bus. Another option is the boat (from either Salerno or Naples). Time if of the essence in your decision. How many nights on the ground do you have planned for this trip? The Amalfi coast is a major detour for your planned trip, since it's at least 3.5 hours south of Rome using trains and buses. If you have 4 nights to spare (or at least 3 nights), then go. But if you only have 2 nights to spare, then go to the Cinque Terre, which is very close to Tuscany.

Posted by
17 posts

As I plan further, time is my concern, thank you. I do not want to short change Tuscany or the Amalfi Coast so maybe I should do southern Italy and Sorrento etc on another trip. I am thinking 2-3 nights Rome, 3-4 nights at Borgo Argenine in Tuscany which sounds wonderful w/ trips to hilltowns, 2 nights in CT and 2 nights in Florence. If I only have 10 nights would you do 3 nights in Rome and 3 in Tuscany or 2 nights in Rome and 4 in Tuscany (with car)?

Posted by
15269 posts

With only 10 nights I would do: Fly to Pisa non stop with Delta from JFK (seasonal only June/August). Otherwise you can fly to Pisa via Paris CDG or via Munich or via Rome. But the non stop JFK-PSA Delta flight is great, if you travel during summer. Arrive in Pisa and go straight to Cinque Terre by train on the day of arrival (arrival is in the AM). Cinque Terre is just about 1.5 hour from Pisa by train. Cinque Terre: 2 nights When done with the CT, after the 2nd night, rent a car in La Spezia (10 min via train from CT) Drive to Tuscany and choose a country location between Florence and Siena as a base. Tuscany: 5 nights as follows: OPTION A: Spend all 5 nights at your countryside base (with the car). With day trips to Florence (park outside the ZTL), Siena and other places in Tuscany. OPTION B:
If you'd rather spend some time also in a vibrant busy town like Florence, spend 3 nights at your Tuscan countryside base (with car) to visit small towns and countryside, then spend 2 nights in Florence (return car upon arrival in Florence). After done with the above go to Rome for the last 3 nights, before flying back to NY from Rome (with Delta, if you took Delta to Pisa). If you have chosen option A for Tuscany, you would drive to Rome and return the car upon arrival in Rome. Or you could drive to Orvieto, return your car there and proceed to Rome via train. If you have chosen option B for Tuscany, you don't have a car anymore in Florence (you returned it there already). Therefore you would take a fast train to Rome. The above itinerary minimizes your car rental days. Car rental in Italy is expensive and actually helpful only to visit smaller towns and countryside of Tuscany. A car in big cities (Florence, Rome, even Siena) or at the Cinque Terre is totally useless.

Posted by
15269 posts

One more thing. You could do also the exact reverse trip:
FLY TO ROME RETURN FROM PISA Just turn all my suggestions upside down. However I think it's easier (and faster) for your return trip to go to the airport from Rome than to go to the Pisa airport from the Cinque Terre. If your flight from Pisa is too early in the morning, that could be a problem. So I think my direction of travel I gave you above (Arrive Pisa, Depart from Rome) is better. If flying to Pisa doesn't work too well. Then you could fly to Florence or Genoa (via Paris CDG or Frankfurt or via Munich). The Genoa airport is closer to the Cinque Terre.