Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre Train Travel

I am going from Lucca to Camolgli by car. On the way I want to park the car, catch the train that goes to all 5 towns, train back to my car then drive on to Camolgli. Have parking at my hotel in Camogli so I could drive there, then take trains along Cinque Terre and back but not sure that makes sense. Thanks for any advice.

Posted by
4922 posts

La Spezia. There are parking garages near the central station. You can buy the Cinque Terre card there, which is essentially a day pass for the trains going to the CT towns.

Posted by
831 posts

Hello Ed, and welcome to the boards.

The two towns that border CT are La Spezia and Levanto - both have access to the trains and the ferries that run between the towns.
La Spezia has better access to the freeway and is probably the better choice for diverting to there and then getting back on the freeway later than Levanto. Lucca to La Spezia should probably take you about an hour.

I don't think it makes much sense time-wise to drive past CT by at least an hour and then retrace that distance by training back for that hour. Diverting to La Spezia on the way there will realistically get you there about 3 hours earlier than going onto Camolgli first.

Have a great trip!
=Tod

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks very much for your replies. One more follow up question. Is Porto Venere worth a drive down to, park, brief walk thru then back to La Spezia train station, park at station then take train for our CT tour? Thanks

Posted by
831 posts

Honest opinion is "probably not". PV is quaint and worth a wander but given you're already trying to do five towns in as a day trip I don't think adding 6th is helping your schedule at all.

If your plan was to take the ferry from PV to CT then maybe it could be part of that plan. But then you are beholden to get back to PV on the ferry because if you take the train back you'll be a bus ride or an (over-priced) taxi ride to PV away from your car. If you parked in La Spezia you could walk to the ferry station and head to CT that way and train back or vice versa. La Spezia is small and pleasant enough to walk - it's a little over a mile from the train station to the ferry dockside. Whether or not you want to add that much time into your trip when you're travelling on is up to you.

After spending a couple of days in PV last year I'm honestly more interested in the southern side of the harbor. It has towns that run from tiny (Tellro) to "resorty" (Lerici) but are distinctly Italian rather than foreign touristy.

My general advice is always don't forget to slow down. Part of the Italian charm is falling into the slower la dolce vita pace of life. If you try and pack too much into the trip you can miss out on that part. Spending an hour spritzing on the piazza and watching people is a more Italian way to spend time than necessarily trying to see "one more place" for a whirlwind hour.

Have a great trip,
=Tod

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks again for taking time to respond. Your advice is very helpful.