Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre train card

I have determined that the CT train card is the most convenient and economical way to enjoy CT. (It appears that the trails past corniglia are still closed for hiking.) I would like to do an online purchase rather than stand in line to buy…is this a mobile pass?

Posted by
471 posts

It's been a little over three years since we were CT. I'm pretty sure we had to buy the train card at the train station and it was paper tickets. Maybe things have modernized. It was a great way to travel. We took the ferry in one direction and then trainhopped all the way back.

Posted by
17 posts

What city did you board the ferry to travel along CT?
How long was the ride?
Thank you

Posted by
15861 posts

Heidi, while you're waiting for CT to respond, here are the prices and ferry times for the 2022 season:

https://www.cinqueterre.eu.com/en/boat-excursions

People may, say, train-hop north from La Spezia to Monterosso, and then ferry south to Riomaggiore or even La Spezia, if heading back, say, to Florence. Some others might hike between Monterosso and Corniglia (no ferry service to Corniglia, BTW), and train or ferry back to Monterosso, if staying there, or train onward to Riomaggiore. What to use the ferries for depends on your larger plan for exploring the region. Weather also comes into play: the ferries do not operate in inclement weather. They also don't operate in winter.

I will note that the ferries are not especially economical, cost-wise, to use as the primary means of transport around the region, nor are they the best choice if time is of a concern, as runs aren't as frequent as the trains.

Posted by
18 posts

Thanks folks….I was hoping to hear from someone who could confirm that mobile tickets could be used or that the pre purchase of a pass had to be converted to paper when arriving. I guess I’ll just wait and stand in line to buy my ct train lass when I arrive!

Posted by
5239 posts

Hi Bonnie,

Thanks folks….I was hoping to hear from someone who could confirm that mobile tickets could be used or that the pre purchase of a pass had to be converted to paper when arriving. I guess I’ll just wait and stand in line to buy my ct train lass when I arrive!

Yes, you can buy your CT card online. Just check the link I sent you on my first reply (up thread)

Wishing you a great trip!

Posted by
471 posts

We were staying in an Airbnb in Monterosso. We boarded the ferry and rode down to Riomaggiore. Not that long. Probably less than an hour. We slowly worked our way back on the train. We didn't go up to Corniglia because we didn't want to get on a crowded shuttle bus and/or walk up to the town. The feet were talking at that point. None of the stops are that far apart. Queuing up for tickets wasn't difficult. A lot of systems have upgraded in the last few years so maybe you can get a mobile ticket.

Posted by
69 posts

In CT at the moment. Download the MyPass app which is the CT hike or train mobile pass purchase method. It wasn’t clear to me how to add a pass for my wife, so I had her also get the app. Added credit card and bought the pass 10 minutes before using it.

That app works for other things in Italy as well, but haven’t tried those yet.