Please sign in to post.

cinque terre trails

Hello, I am trying to help a friend going to Cinque Terre. Last summer, almost all the trails from via del amore to montorosso were open. But my friend's research is telling him that most coastal trails are still closed. Can't find much updated info under "cinque terre recovery" on RS website. Please advise. Thanks,
Kaye in Folsom CA

Posted by
11294 posts

We were there last October and yes, the Trail #2 Sentiero Azzuro was closed. But we found many hiking opportunities on the higher trails. Depends on how much hiking you want to do but you can read about one of our hikes here, and we also used the shuttle bus from Manarola up to the high trail, then walked to Corniglia and caught the train back. So there are options.

Posted by
32198 posts

Kaye, All of the Sentiero Azzurro (No. 2) trails were closed last September, following a rock slide on the Via del'Amore which injured four Australian tourists. As noted on the website that Roberto provided, these are still closed but it's expected that at least some will be reopened when tourist season starts at the beginning of April. As Laurel mentioned, there's an extensive network of other trails, so hiking will still be possible. However those will take longer and some will be a bit more "rigourous" than the lower trails. I'd suggest checking the website from time-to-time to keep up-to-date on the current status. Cheers!