Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre Trails

Are trails closed on April 25 and/or May 1?

Posted by
15887 posts

Trails which are not closed because of damage or needed repairs - and some of them are and will remain closed through the 2018 season - will be open. Status of trails can change unexpectedly due to heavy weather or unforeseen circumstances, such as falling rock, so check this page of the park's website when you arrive.

http://www.parconazionale5terre.it/Esentieri-outdoor.php

A red and white circle beside a trail listing means it's currently closed.

Posted by
32228 posts

If you're referring to the popular Sentiero Azzurro trails, the Monterosso - Vernazza and Vernazza - Corniglia segments should be open. I'll have to check when I'm on a computer. The other two segments from Corniglia to Riomaggiore will likely remain closed for this year.

There's an extensive network of other trails in that area, so you can bypass the closed segments if you don't mind a more robust hike. Note that the SA trails require a Park Pass to hike, but that's not required on the other trails.

Posted by
15887 posts

Ken, the website is showing those two usually open segments of the Sentiero Azzurro as currently closed but I don't expect they'll remain so. Could be they're trying to get them in shape for the upcoming season?

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks all! Very helpful. Those dates in particular (April 25 and May 1) are holidays and I wasn't sure if they close down any segments for the national holiday(s).

Posted by
32228 posts

Kathy, I posted my earlier reply using a phone, so it wasn't as easy to switch websites to check the current status of the trails. Now that I'm back on my venerable MacBook, the process is much easier.

The trails may be indicating "closed" as tourist season doesn't "officially" start until 1 April. There won't be anyone in the small wooden huts monitoring hikers so they may want to discourage too much traffic at this time. Also, as you suggest they may be doing some repairs to get the trails ready for the upcoming tourist season. Some damage may have been done by winter storms.

The Save Vernazza website still shows the trails open, but I suspect this hasn't been updated for 2018 yet - http://savevernazza.com/traveladvisortrailupdates/ .

aornee, check with your hotel when you arrive there and they'll be able to provide the best up-to-date information. I expect the two segments that I mentioned earlier will be open. You can either hike the higher segments to get around the closed ones, or simply take the frequent and cheap local trains (or boats, weather permitting).