Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre trails

Hello all

I am confused after looking at the two official websites about the cinque Terre trails, so any ideas would be great. We are going there in mid May and the way I am reading this is the blue easy trails are still closed except for a small portion of the Via Amore. If We take the train from La Spezia to Monterrosso, the only trails that go to Verrazano are slightly more difficult, but I can't understand if the expected time for that trail is actually 3 hours? Then the trail from vernazzo to Corneglia is also open, but that would also be a few hours to do?

Please advise. We will be coming via train from Lucca to La Spezia and then where would you suggest for us? Are the paths open from the train stations to the villages themselves? Could we just train from village to village and walk around the towns? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Posted by
11315 posts

The trails can be confusing until you get there and see the situation. First, the town you refer to is Vernazza. :-) Will you be there a few days?

You can easily visit all 5 towns via train. Rick's Italy guide had nice self-guided tours for each town. We've enjoyed following those walks and you can easily spend 1-2 hours in each town just taking those little self-guided tours.

The hikes between towns are on the Sentiero Azzurro (Trail #2)and the conditions of the trails and open/closed status changeable, but there are many other trails. You would do well to check locally as to what is open and to get recommendations of other hikes. Personally I avoid the #2 and hit some of the other paths. #1 has great views, too, and is less traveled, less treacherous (IMO).

The Blue Path (Sentiero Azzurro)

Other Walking Paths in the CT

National Park Site

Posted by
1215 posts

Hi Marie. Yes, you are reading the map / train status correctly. However, all five towns are accessible by train, so yes, you can train to each village and walk around the towns. For Corniglia, it is 400 stairs from the station up to town, or a short van ride; for the other towns, the stations are a short, flat walk. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
3580 posts

For a limited trail experience with great views begin in Vernazza on the trail toward Monterosso. Not far up the trail you begin to see magnificent views. As I recall, there are even benches to sit on along the way.

Posted by
370 posts

I was thinking of taking the train all the way up to Monterosso and then hiking down to Corneglia. Is this ok to do? The walk from Corneglia is steep from what I am reading. Thank you all for great suggestions

Posted by
83 posts

You didn't say how long you'll be in the area...but I encourage you to walk one of the segments (at least one) if you have the time and ability. We did the Vernazza to Monterosso trail last summer - and it was absolutely spectacular. The trail was varied and interesting, and the scenery amazing.

Treat yourself if you can.

Peg

Posted by
32201 posts

marie,

Unless something changes between now and your trip, you should be able to walk from Monterosso to Vernazza to Corniglia. IMO, it's best to start from Monterosso as there's a steep climb at that end, and I find it easier to do that uphill rather than downhill. Be sure to take lots of water. As I recall, there's a convenience store on the way to the trail, and you can buy a bottle there.

Be sure to stop at the vantage point above Vernazza to get a photo of the town and the harbour. That's the view shown in all the tourist brochures! Corniglia is a fairly small town, so it probably won't take you long to look around there (or you could stop for a meal and a cool one). In order to reach the rail station, you'll either have to walk down about 300 stairs (not difficult at all) or take the small shuttle van (small charge for that unless you have the Cinque Terrre Treno card).

From Corniglia take the train to Manarola and then walk the short section of the Via dell' Amore that's open, as far as the small bar. Stop for another "cool one" and enjoy the gorgeous ocean views.

Posted by
370 posts

Thank you all so much for the tips for this walk. We are coming from Lucca for a day trip and this information is extremely helpful!!