Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre Trails

Has anyone been to Cinque Terra in the past couple of weeks? Are all sections of the seaside trail open? If not, can you advise as to which sections are closed?

Many thanks,

Robert

Posted by
32198 posts

robert,

The last information I've seen indicates that the Sentiero Azzurro trails from Monterosso to Vernazza and Vernazza to Corniglia are the only ones open at this time. The Corniglia to Manarola segment has been closed for awhile, so I don't expect it will be opening any time soon. The Via dell 'Amore (Riomaggiore-Manarola) won't be re-opening until next year. Note that you'll have to pay for a Park Pass to hike those trails (you can buy those at the small hut at the beginning of the trails or at the local rail stations).

Posted by
715 posts

Robert,

The "tourist" trail from Monterosso to Vernazza is well worth the trip and the high trail #6 from Manarola - Volastra - Corniglia is fantastic. You will get some great hiking in on those two trails. How are your knees?

Posted by
312 posts

Does anyone know how long the hike is from Corniglia to Vernazza? Also, how difficult it is? My hubby and I are in our late 50's in decent shape and would like to do a hike. Nothing to over the edge. I was hoping we could hike this leg as I read somewhere the views into Vernazza are breathtaking.

Posted by
10344 posts

Answer to question asked immediately above:
The map I bought when I did the hike gives this information
Trail distance from Vernazza to Corniglia, one way, either direction is approx 4 km, or 2.5 miles.
The map gives an estimated hiking time (assuming "average fitness", whatever that is) of about 1 hr 45 minutes, one way from Vernaza to Corniglia OR from Corniglia to Vernazza if you did it the other way. Those times don't include sight-seeing or rest stops.
Total elevation change is about 1150 feet, this includes both uphill and downhill portions of the trail, one way; the trail peaks at a point on the map called Prevo, that's the reason for the total elevation change including both uphill and downhill portions, and again, is one way.
You would double the above times if you did a round trip between Vernazza to Corniglia.
As you probably are aware, the Vernazza to Corniglia segment of the trail is part of a much longer trail.

Posted by
32198 posts

@bjdimare,

The information provided by Kent is a good estimate for the time to hike the trail between Vernazza and Corniglia. The actual time will of course depend on your actual hiking speed. Yes, the views of Vernazza are amazing from the trails. The "classic" view of Vernazza as seen in many travel websites is taken from a short distance up the trail towards Monterosso, but there's another good spot on the trail towards Corniglia. Note that you'll need a Park Pass to hike any of the Sentiero Azzurro trails. Be sure to take lots of water!

Regarding the "difficulty" of the hikes, I'm 60+ and can manage so if you're in reasonably good shape you should have no problems. The segment from Monterosso to Vernazza is the most challenging, as there's quite a climb at the Monterosso end (I'd suggest starting from Monterosso if you decide to do that one, as it's easier on the knees). I can manage that, but of course not as quickly as many of the "younger crowd". The part from Vernazza to Corniglia is not quite as rigorous.

Posted by
312 posts

@ Ken and Kent thanks. We are staying in Monterosso. I hope we feel good and can hike at least one of the trails. I thought Corniglia to Vernazza might be easier.

Posted by
10344 posts

Robert, you're welcome!
In your last post you mentioned easier. Easier is a function of distance, total elevation change (both uphill and downhill), and hiking time. On those criteria, Corniglia to Manarola is easier than Vernazza to Corniglia BUT per Ken's first post, that segment of the trail is closed.