Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre to Venice

I'm taking the train from Monterosso to Venice. I see that the best option might be going through Milan. It's a long day on the train but if I'm stoppig in Milan, is it work walking around for an hour or 2 before continuing to Venice. Are there things to see close to the train station or even stop there for lunch or is it best to make my way to Venice.

Posted by
16894 posts

Yes, with train travel taking about 6 hours total, you do have time to spare to see Milan's Duomo (most beautiful from the outside and from the roof) and adjacent sites such as 1870 Galleria Vittorio Emanuel shopping mall or the Museum del Duomo. From Milano Centrale station to Duomo is 4 stops on metro line 3 (yellow). You could take a direct train departing Monterosso at 6:55 and arriving Milan at 9:55, or later departures with a connection. The remaining direct Milan-Venice train takes 2.5 hours and departs every half hour. How to Look Up Train Schedules Online gives you the DB train schedule link and tips for using it. This assumes that you feel you have enough time for Venice and are not cutting that short.

Posted by
6 posts

How much time do you think I should allow in Mila to see those 2 places? Duomo and mall? Should I prebook and fast train to Venice or book after I am done walking around?

Posted by
7482 posts

It's been 13 years since doing a CT-to-Milan-to-Venice train, and I'm not up on current schedules so won't attempt to offer timing advice. However, the Milan train station in June 2001 was the HOTTEST place on earth, so don't hang around the station any longer than necessary (unless they've installed some wonderous air conditioning, which I doubt).

Also, last time in Milan was 10 years ago, when the Duomo was covered in scaffolding. It should look a lot better for you now - happy travels!