Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre/Orvieto 5/7/2015

Driving from La Spezia (train location) to Orvieto. I have a few questions and if anyone can answer them that would be great.
1. What roads would you use.
2.How many stops would you make and at what towns or villages.
3.Any idea of how many miles it is.
4.About how long would it take.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

thank you,

Marie

Posted by
1054 posts

I would ride the coast down the E-80 and take the S-74 and I would stop in Bolsena on the lake for a little while before heading to Orvieto which is close by.

You can probably get there quicker by linking up with the A1 and taking that by Florence all the way to Orvieto.

Some others like Roberto have better tips for driving in that area.

Posted by
16894 posts

I like www.viamichelin.com for online route planning, as well as the Michelin Central Italy map to take along. The fastest route only takes 3.5 hours by driving (or 5 hours and 2 connections by train). But the benefit of driving is to stop on the way (not to save 2 hours travel time). Are you doing this trip in one day and is it your only opportunity for seeing Tuscan towns? San Gimignano and Volterra are both good stops near the start of your drive. Montepulciano, Pienza, and Montalcino are closer to your destination (but back-tracking there from Orvieto would take about 1.5 hours each way).

Between Lucca and Volterra, I traveled on the smaller roads, straight as the crow flies, and the flat farmland and big-box stores on that stretch were not as interesting as the southern part of Tuscany, so sticking to faster roads as far as Volterra makes sense.