Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre or Positano

Hubby just decided that we should perhaps go to Cinque Terre rather than Positano. Opinions would be appreciated. Are the views as nice in Cinque Terre? The beaches certainly look nicer. We will be going next May/June.

We will be flying into Rome, going to Florence, then one day in Padua and on day in Milan. We were thinking that after our busy days in Rome taking two nights to relax in a beach town then onto more busy days in Florence. My husband saw photos of Positano and fell in love with it and asked me to include it in the trip. Yesterday he watched the Cinque Terre video by RS and liked that as well. Though he would like to do both we can only fit in one. I realize we have left off Venice but there are too many other things we want to see and do in the other places we simply couldn't fit it in.

We plan to end the trip by heading to Nice, Provence then Paris. Total of 3 weeks. I know it is a lot but there is so much we want to see.

Thanks for the help.
Diane

Posted by
490 posts

Perhaps if you gave the forum more trip details on where else you plan to visit, fly into etc. we could provide advice. How long is your trip in nights?

If you are staying above Rome generally speaking then CT is an area that is senic and has beaches. It is an area that is good for hiking if that appeals to you. So if you are planning to visit Venice, Rome and Florence in say 10-12 nights CT might make more sense. If not going to Venice then consider Amalfi coast.

The Amalfi coast region offers a lot in a small area, islands, coast, archeological sites, Naples museums etc. 3-4 nights in this region and you can see a lot!

You have time to plan but be aware that some popular hotels fill up months in advance.

Posted by
11226 posts

'''Are the views as nice''' --- yes is my answer

Now for the un-requested commentary-- Which you should go to will depend on how much time you have and where else you will be

Go to whichever one is closer to where you will be most of the time.

Posted by
32219 posts

Diane,

As the others have mentioned, it would help to have more information on your overall trip, as the other places you'll be going will have a bearing on whether to choose the Cinque Terre or Positano. From a transportation point-of-view, the Cinque Terre will be much easier to access than Positano, so that's something to consider. In the Cinque Terre, only Monterosso has good beaches; the beaches in the other four towns are small and somewhat rocky.

If you decide on the Cinque Terre, I'd suggest getting a room booked early in the year!

You might want to delete your duplicate thread in order to keep all replies in the same place.

Posted by
29 posts

Info about itinerary is included above now. Sorry - should have included it.

Posted by
4637 posts

Geographically or logistically Cinque Terre makes more sense than Positano. Your other destinations are in the same or similar directions. Views are fantastic in Cinque Terre. Beaches are pebbles in Monterosso and also secluded clothing optional Guvano beach nearby Corniglia is pebbles. Beach in Positano is nice and sandy.

Posted by
29 posts

I thought it would make more sense to go to Cinque Terre as well but feel I'm really missing out not going to Positano. Perhaps another trip.

Posted by
15852 posts

Diane, if you only have two nights then the Cinque Terre is a better choice. It's not going to take you clear out of the way of your other locations and kill time - which you don't have a lot of - backtracking. You won't be disappointed in the CT. For all that it can be much too busy, I prefer it to Positano as, being on a train line, it's faster/easier to get around. Shoot, just 3-4 minutes or so by rail and you can be in the next village. There is ferry service as well: slower but nice for getting a look at the coast from the water.

As suggested, though, book your accommodation early: rooms start filling months in advance of high season. I believe we booked in January for our May trip and barely got into the one we wanted.

Posted by
29 posts

Kathy,
Thanks for the input. We are very close to finalizing everything and will begin booking places to stay within the next couple of weeks. It is our first trip to Italy and we are both very excited!
Diane

Posted by
29 posts

Thanks to everyone who gave their input. We will be going to Cinque Terre rather than Positano.

Posted by
11 posts

I know this reply is late and you may have already finalized your trip but I would reconsider Venice. It's my favorite place that I've ever been. It's absolutely stunning. As a photographer, every inch is a picture. If there's something else you can rearrange I would highly suggest doing it.