Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre or Amalfi

Has anyone been to Cinque Terre and the Amalfi coast in late August to mid Sept? I've been to the Amalfi coast (Positano, Amalfi, Ravello etc) and loved it! How does Cinque Terre compare?

Posted by
811 posts

it's similar to positano but 5 unique villages closely located. nice little villages with no major cultural sites, just relaxing fishing villages, hike the coast, nice natural views. good for 1-2 overnights.

Posted by
32213 posts

Tom, The villages of the Cinque Terre are "somewhat" like Positano, but much more informal and less "posh" (if you want "posh" in Liguria, there's always Portofino). Except for Monterosso, you won't find any conventional Hotels, but rather a collection of Pensiones and B&B's. The C.T. is a great location for just relaxing and enjoying the ambience and of course Pesto in the area where it was invented. Happy travels!

Posted by
791 posts

Spent the first week of last Sept. on the Amalfi coast. Still crowded but,apparently, not as bad as the summer months. Traffic wasn't too bad on the coastal road. Spent the first week of June in CT last year so can't say what it's like in Aug. but was told by the staff at our hotel it's the busiest month.
I prefered the beaches in Amalfi but overall I enjoyed CT more.