Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre lodging

Hello,
We are traveling in July, looking for suggestions for lodging in Manarola for 3 nights. There are 3 of us, it's our first time there. We are on a budget so a hostel is okay.

Thanks, Kim H.

Posted by
7209 posts

I would highly recommend Monterosso over the other villages because of the beach and because it has the most lodging and dining choices. I was bored out of my mind after spending 3 nights there.

Posted by
33 posts

Marina Piccola hands down! We stayed there for three nights with our daughter in Sept.2011. It is worth every dime! Easy walk from the train. We had to climb about 60 stairs to our room at the top. But we looked out into the Ligurian Sea and had a balcony on the side looking out to the street!! Breakfast was delicious and they have a good restaurant on the premises. You can swim from where they lower the boats into the water. Who needs a beach?

Posted by
32219 posts

kim,

The Ostello 5 Terre is located at the top of the main street in Manarola, and that would certainly be about the lowest cost option. Were you planning to stay in Dorm rooms? Accommodations will be somewhat basic (as is typical of Hostels) and the breakfast rather spartan. The Hostel is clean and well run, but as I recall they have a strict lockout from 13:00 - 16:00 which is a problem for some people. I'd suggest getting a booking SOON (it may already be too late).

If you want to stick with low cost accommodations, there's another Hostel in Corniglia, which offers a similar type of accommodations.

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks everyone. We are definitely interested in swimming while we are in Cinque Terre. Would other people also recommend Monterossi over Manarola for swimming?

Posted by
1234 posts

Kim,

Even if you stay in Manarola, it is a quick, easy train ride to each of the other villages. Monterosso is approx. 15 minutes from Manarola and the trains run frequently, so it will be no problem to go swimming.

Posted by
10 posts

So which of the villages has the best swimming? Manarola, Monterosso or Vernazza? I would love to start each day with a swim!

Posted by
32219 posts

kim,

While it's possible to swim in all the villages, only Monterosso has large sandy beaches such as these in the "new town" area. There are also smaller beaches on the "old town" area. Vernazza has a small enclosed harbour with a small beach, while swimming in Riomaggiore, Manarola and Corniglia is possible from very small harbours or jumping off rocks. NOTE that some of the beach chairs and umbrellas in Monterosso are "pay-per-use" but I don't think the cost is too high. Other parts of the beach are free. There have been a few reports here of locals claiming that visitors have to pay for lounging on a certain portion of the beach, when in fact these were the free parts. Roberto can fill you in on the details.

As the number of Hostels is limited in the Cinque Terre, you could also look at an Affitacamere or small apartment in any of the towns. Some of these provide breakfast and in others you're on your own for meals. There are lots of suggestions in the Italy 2015 guidebook or you could check THIS list or THIS list (sorry, don't have one for Manarola).

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks for this very helpful information. The beach on Monterossa is beautiful but we only want a few quick swims a day rather than hours of sunbathing. We've narrowed it down to stay on either Vernazza or Manarola. Which of these two would you recommend for swimming?

Posted by
32219 posts

kim,

Vernazza will be a better option for swimming (IMO) as it has the enclosed harbour (which will probably keep the water a bit warmer). Manarola only offers swimming off the rocks, so not the most comfortable arrangement.

Posted by
3112 posts

Swimming off the rocks at Manarola is very nice if you actually want to swim. There is an area around the corner from the town harbor with flat rocks and a ladder into the water. We swam there several times. Great for a quick dip or swimming "laps" for exercise.

Posted by
6 posts

Get a hotel ASAP. Seriously. I was looking 6+ weeks in advance and many places were already full. I originally wanted to stay in Vernzza, but ended up finding a place in Monterosso because there are more place available. Good luck!

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks everyone. We booked a hostel in Manarola! Can't wait!!

Posted by
33 posts

You will love Manarola. Swimming is great. And yes there is a ladder into the water and also easily accessible from the boat ramp. Rocks never bothered me. Can't even remember them. The entire Cinque Terre is wonderful.

Posted by
3580 posts

For quick dips in Vernazza, stay at a hotel in the lower art of town. The beach there doesn't look clean; I suggest you wear shoes of some sort getting to the water. Frankly, it doesn't look inviting at all. I was there recently. Monterosso looks a lot better.