Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre Itinerary

4 people, 2 adults, 2 kids (18 and 22) traveling in mid-March. We aren't the most physically active adults but do walk 2-3 miles a day on flat land. The kids are active so I am not worried about their abilities.

We have a full day and a half in Cinque Terre and I am trying to plan the day(s) out so we see the best and miss the least best.

Day 1: We will probably arrive to our Air BNB in the afternoon as we are driving from Colle di Val D'elsa and plan to stop at Pisa and maybe Volterra before heading north. I plan about 5-6 hours for the drive with stops. That should put us into La Spezia around 2-3pm. We could realistically head back out around 4p to get the train to Cinque Terre.

My plan was to take it to Corniglia, site see, and then hike to Vernazza. Eat dinner, site see and then head back to La Spezia.

Day 2: I planned to take the train to Monterosso and hike to Vernazza but I see that that trail is closed so we would probably take the train on to Manarola, site see and then hike to Corniglia via Volastra. Once there eat lunch and then take the train to Monterosso and site see there. If time allows head to Riomaggiore for the evening.

I hate that we're hopping around so much but don't see a way around that.

Does this all sound do-able?

Posted by
12 posts

Staying in La Spezia.

We are travelling in Mid-March and the ferry isn't open yet according to the Cinque Terre website.

Posted by
4363 posts

Oh yeah, gotcha.
I'd plan on playing it by ear on arrival day--I don't know sunset time, but if you are delayed it is unlikely you are going to get much of a hike in on that day. But, you are so close to a really lovely area--use the car to drive over to Tellaro. It is Montemarcello park and there are some coastal hikes, great seafood. Just an alternative in case its' all too much bother for too little time.
Then the next day plan a spectacular day of CT hiking and a long lunch.

Posted by
5687 posts

You might consider staying in Levanto instead if you need a car-friendly town. I've stayed there a few times (without a car). It's only one train stop north of Monterosso. I've not been to La Spezia but I understand it isn't quite as nice as Levanto. I guess with such a short stay it may not really matter where you stay.

You could even hike back from Levanto to Monterosso if you stayed in Levanto. It's not as nice of a hike as the other main trails but it's not bad, and you do get a breathtaking view back on all five Cinque Terre villages from just above Monterosso at the end.

The hike between Vernazza and Corniglia via Volastra is probably the most scenic hike I've ever done in the Cinque Terre - the views down are breathtaking. But keep in mind that it's a very steep climb up, up, up hundreds of steps! You can do it if you aren't in great shape - it's not a scary hike, but give yourself a lot of time and take it easy if you aren't that physically active. (I've not done it in the rain - not sure what weather will be like in March.) There's also a bus I believe from Manarola up to Volastra, but of course that eliminates half the fun and views. For what it's worth, no hiking pass is required for the hike between Manarola, Volastra, and Corniglia or the hike between Levanto and Monterosso.

Posted by
12 posts

Andrew, we already have our reservation in La Spezia and will be ditching the car when we arrive.

Posted by
1698 posts

You may want to reconsider the amount of hiking and the time required; the trails are the opposite of flat land, and often narrow and rocky. Visitors are often disappointed at the exertion required. The Manarola to Volastra section is very steep even though it's described as easy. In March you may encounter wet weather and/or wet trails. Also, there is no ferry in mid-March.