Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre Itinerary

My daughter and I will be in Italy in early September. We will be driving from Florence to La Spezia, where the car will be picked up. If we take the train from La Spezia to the Cinque Terre, is it better to start in Monterosso or Riomaggiore? We will want to hike some, and possibly swim. Any itinerary ideas would be appreciated. We will take the train to Milan the same evening. Is it best to go back to La Spezia for the train to Milan? Thank you.

Posted by
3580 posts

To enjoy swimming and to "hike some," I would recommend taking the train to Monterosso. The trail from there to Vernazza is long and lots of work, but nobody says you have to do the whole thing. Monterosso has a decent beach.

Posted by
22 posts

We spent a wonderful day at the beach in Monterosso. It was worth it to rent a beach umbrella and chairs. You pay for your spot and it's yours all day, even if you leave and come back. However, do not go to "Eden Beach." The workers there were extremely rude for no reason. Our perfect day was diminished by having to listen to the beach enforcers unneccesarily yell at customers for infractions such as sitting on their own towel by the water to watch their children!

Posted by
137 posts

LJ, Take the boat from La Spezia to Monterosso. The hike from Monterosso to Vernazza is fantastic and very scenic! Just got back from there. We stayed in La Spezia. Spent only a day in the CT and can't wait to go back and stay longer in Monterosso, maybe a week. We then trained from LS to Venice via Milan.