Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre in Winter

My fiancé and I are planning to honeymoon in Italy but won't be able to go until this winter. I've been to the Cinque Terre area before and loved it but that was in the summertime. I'd love to stop by there for a couple days but wasn't sure what it would be like in the winter. Has anyone been before around December/January? If so, is it still worth going then or is everything pretty much shut down for the winter? We won't mind if things are slow but also don't want to be shut up in our room all day because of bad weather or nothing being open. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Posted by
5687 posts

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'd be curious to know too - I wouldn't mind visiting the Italian Riviera in winter, having been there a few times in spring or fall.

Personally, I might suggest not having a fixed itinerary if possible. Have you considered "winging it?" This has worked great for me a few times. Book your first few nights after arrival in Italy and go from there. If the weather is nice, swing up to the Cinque Terre. If not, stay in a city where there are museums and lots of restaurants, so you'd have something to do on the rainy days. Because it shouldn't be that busy in winter, you should be able to book last-minute lodgings pretty easily at this time of year.

Just have a "sunny plan" and a "rainy plan." Pick out some likely places to stay ahead of time in each town you might visit and bookmark them. Make sure you have an internet device like a phone or tablet to make on-the-fly reservations as needed.

Posted by
15861 posts

We won't mind if things are slow but also don't want to be shut up in
our room all day because of bad weather

Megan, it's going to be a roll of the dice, weather-wise, any way you look at it and no one can assure you that you'll land in during a couple of nice days. I'd say that if a couple of cold, windy, wet days will ruin your stay then make a different choice. Yes, a lot (but not all) of "everything" will be shut down but that doesn't appear to bother folks looking for a lower-key visit.

Posted by
32222 posts

Megan,

That's not the best time of the year to visit the Cinque Terre. Many of the hotels and restaurants will be closed for the season, and there really won't be a lot to do (especially if the weather is bad). I'd suggest switching to a location that will provide a variety of options in case the weather is bad.