Please sign in to post.

cinque terre in winter

What is it like to travel to Cinque Terre in the colder months? Fewer crowds? Better prices? Weather OK?

Posted by
15269 posts

I wouldn't personally consider the Cinque Terre a "must see at all costs" destination even in the summer months. It's quaint, but somewhat of a major detour for most Americans visiting Italy and frankly not worth the effort unless one has seen the rest of Italy already. Lately it has also become unbearably crowded. Sometimes the followers of the Rick Steves' cult go to incredible length to include them in their itinerary even when it makes no sense whatsoever. There are many more places that should be visited in Italy before even contemplating a trip to the Cinque Terre and that is doubly true in winter.

Posted by
32222 posts

The Cinque Terre is not a good choice to visit in winter. Many of the hotels and other tourist businesses close about late November and don't reopen until perhaps mid-March. In winter you'll have a difficult time finding a hotel open in the five towns, and closer to Christmas you may not even be able to find a restaurant open to get a meal.

There will be fewer crowds of course but the weather will probably not be OK. It's often cold, overcast and rainy in the winter months and they do get snow on occasion. There are no museums or other indoor sights to visit as the towns themselves are the attraction. That is NOT a good time to visit the C.T.

Posted by
2 posts

thanks for the advice. I am new to this forum and I am impressed with the ideas and answers. What are the best smaller cities and/or towns to visit (but most likely will be an autumn or winter trip)? Thanks again.