Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre in October

I’m sorry if this has been covered. I can’t find the search function using my phone!

Since the beach isn’t an attraction in October, is Corniglia a nice choice for a visit? Seems like views would be great.

Goals: relax, hike a little, find some gluten-free food

Posted by
15827 posts

Jill, I liked Corniglia a lot (we didn't stay there, however) but it's really tiny, and a little more difficult to get to as it's perched so high above the sea. You either have to take a little bus (small fee) that was generally timed to meet the trains (the station is below the village) or climb a long, 382-step stairway. Accessing accommodations may also involve dealing with a fair amount of stairs so pay attention to reviews if hauling luggage. I wouldn't expect much of anything going on at night - which wouldn't bother me personally - and I would pay attention to the train schedules if planning on evening dinner elsewhere in the region. I'd also look at the weather: it wouldn't be all that much fun if it rains. Given a previous post, I think you're either in Italy now or will be within the next couple days?

Can't help you with gluten free meals but Italian restaurants usually have something along that line.

Be aware that the lower "Blue" trail from Corniglia> Manarola> Riomaggiore is closed, although it should be open from Corniglia> Vernazza> Monterosso, and unless there is weather or other damage, the upper trails should be open. You will need to purchase a Trekking Card to hike the lower trail; that card covers use of that little bus to/from the village and train station.

http://www.parconazionale5terre.it/Eindex.php.
http://www.parconazionale5terre.it/Ecinque-terre-card.php
http://www.parconazionale5terre.it/Esentieri-outdoor.php

Posted by
5687 posts

Jill, Corniglia is wonderful as Kathy says. A friend was just in the Cinque Terre last week and it was still busy with tourists. Corniglia might be less busy, especially in the evenings, because it is harder to get to.

Expect a lot of tourists on the main hiking trails. If you want some alternate hiking trails, try the one from Manarola to Corniglia via Volastra - it's a steep hike up, up, up! a bunch of steps, but otherwise it's not a difficult hike if you pace yourself. It's not without other hikers but should be far less busy than the main trails between Corniglia and Vernazza, Vernazza and Monterosso. The big payoff from this hike is that the views down are stunning - the best of any of the Cinque Terre hikes I've done.

The hike from Levanto (where I've always stayed, one village north of Monterosso) back to Monterosso is about 2.5 hours and also much less busy than the others.

Neither of the hikes I mention require a hiking pass FYI - or didn't in 2019.

If you want something less busy than the Cinque Terre, try further north in the Riviera. The town of Camogli is a delightful little seaside town, more of an Italian vacation town that gets busy in summer but not so much off season. There are hiking opportunities up there too on the Portofinio peninsula, with far, far few tourists.

Posted by
15204 posts

October might still be beach weather, who knows? This year October has been warmer than usual in Italy at times. Cinque Terre don’t have a lot of beaches. Only Monterosso has some. If the weather permits, the hike from Vernazza to Corniglia is nice.

Posted by
362 posts

Jill, we are currently in Monterosso and have seen people swimming! Daytime temps between 20-25C.

Posted by
7387 posts

We were in the Cinque Terre for the second week of October last year. The whole area was very, very busy, and packed with tourists and hikers. We stayed in Riomaggiore, and waves of hikers there for the day, coming down through town in the morning, flooding back uphill in late afternoon/early evening were unexpectedly heavy. Vernazza was shoulder to shoulder people. Corniglia was the least crowded town.

This year in Italy (currently in Bologna), it’s been even busier. Expect crowds, but Corniglia will be less packed. Gelato there, at Alberto Gelato, is extra outstanding- especially their lemon basil flavor.

Italian restaurants, throughout the country, have gone to exceptional efforts to identify menu items that will affect people with sensitivities, including those wanting gluten-free options. If the menu isn’t already marked to identify dishes that will be a problem, just ask.

Posted by
481 posts

We were just in the Cinque Terre last week. We debated which town to stay in, and decided on Manarola. We did actually swim twice. It was fairly warm and after a long hike felt lovely.
As mentioned the only way to get to Corniglia from the train station is to wait for a small bus, or hike up 398 stairs. With current pathway closures you do end up needing to use their various transportations ( train, boat). We were happy we stayed in Manarola as we were able to use the boat one day, train another. For Corniglia you would be limited to the train, or the big hike into Vernazza. The easy hike to Manarola is apparently frequently washed out.
We did take a bus from Manarola to a town high up called Velastra, and hiked down to Corniglia and had a lovely sunset dinner.

In Manarola we found that it was busy late morning to mid to late afternoon with groups coming in. In the evening, early am it was very quiet. On the hike from Montorosso we started running into a large crowd around 1130 ish. We were there mid-week. I'm not sure if weekends are different.

RE Gluten free, lots of seafood options in Cinque Terre. I'm not sure with your breakfasts though!

Posted by
5687 posts

Lisa, you can hike from Manarola up to Volastra too, but of course it's a strenuous hike, so some do take that bus. I did the hike - the views down are breathtaking! Best hike I've ever done in the Cinque Terre.

Posted by
46 posts

We were in Cinque Terre last week. Had beautiful weather, kids and husband swam but the water was quite brisk! The Lunch Box in Vernazza has wonderful gluten-free sandwiches, worth planning to stop there regardless of where you decide to base yourself.