Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre in October

Greetings, first trip to Italy planned for early to mid October. Welcome any advice. Plan to arrive Rome, stay just a night, unless flights and trains are ideal for quick transfer. Would like to stay in the Cinque terre area for at least a week, then? Maybe back to Rome for a few days then out. Two weeks in all. Don't like to cram too much flitting about in a trip. First, can someone recommend which town or even which accommodation may suit me and my traveling companion. I would like to be central to the 5 cities, but as rustic and laid back as available. An apartment that may give the feel of a resident. We enjoy hiking, long walks. Not looking for the night life so much. If there is a side trip that might take a couple of days when heading back to Rome, that would be a cool recommendation. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!
Garth Milam

Posted by
15204 posts

One full week at the Cinque Terre would bore me to death, especially in October when days are shorter and weather not always ideal for the beach or even for a hike. October weather is unpredictable and if you run into a rainy period (not at all unlikely in October, the second wettest month) you won't be a happy camper (even if you aren't camping). With two weeks I would find some time to spend in Florence and Tuscany, in addition to Rome, and limit my time at the Cinque Terre to 3 or 4 nights max. Any town will work since all 5 are served by frequent trains going back and forth.

Posted by
11339 posts

In contrast to Roberto, I think a week in the CT is great! You can go to other towns in Liguria, too. I just responded here earlier this morning, and my links contained therein (see the links cleverly labeled "here, here, here and here") offer some ideas of what to do with your time. Also, the blog A Path to Lunch just published several posts on a beautiful towns of Liguria. several of which can be day-tripped from the CT.

We got an apartment In Riomaggiore thru Arbaspaa last trip. It was nothing fancy but had a view and a small kitchen.

Posted by
3696 posts

I would also find a week in Oct in CT a little too long unless I had a month to visit other places and just needed to regroup. You stated something about the 5 cities, however these are not cities and are really just tiny little villages. I was there last Oct. and we were very fortunate to have absolutely beautiful weather every day except 1 during a 2 week visit, but you could encounter some lousy weather in which case a week would drive me crazy. You could pick another town on the coast and spend a few days someplace else that might have a little more to offer.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks! great advice. I think I can adjust my plans to balance my visit to include some sights beyond just C.T. especially if the weather turns wet. I'll at least include some flexibility. If I were to head over to Umbria or Tuscany what should I plan to do?

Thanks again.