Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre in November

Is Cinque Terre worth visiting in mid-November? We plan to visit Lucca and then, depending upon the weather, either visit Cinque Terre or concentrate on cities such as Parma before heading over to Venice on the train. We might stay for an overnight in CT or just make a day trip of it.

Posted by
15204 posts

Only if the weather is good. You won't be able to do hikes, as the trails might be closed at that time of the year, nor will you be able to take a boat trip from town to town. It won't be beach weather either, but you can still visit the towns and take some pictures.

I wouldn't bother staying overnight. In November it gets dark by 5:30pm and there won't be much to do after that. Assuming when you go you have a sunny day (albeit not necessarily warm), you should leave Lucca as soon as possible in the morning. There is a train leaving at 7:59 and one leaving at 9:30. The trip is 2 hours with 2 train changes (in Viareggio and La Spezia). There are also faster trains via Pisa, but they are later, so they don't work for your case. Assuming you get there after 10:00 (with the 7:59 departure), you have time to visit a couple of towns. I would hit Riomaggiore first (the closest). Take some pictures, then, if the Via dell'Amore is open, walk to Manarola. More pictures then take a train to Monterosso for lunch. If the via dell'Amore is closed, just take a train straight from Riomaggiore to Monterosso. More pictures after lunch, then head back via train to Vernazza. More pictures and when it starts to get dark, take a train back to Lucca. There is at least a train every hour that can get you back to Lucca (change in La Spezia and Viareggio or Pisa again). The last train you can take back departs Vernazza at 20:39.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks much for your very thorough review of Cinque Terre. We'll plan to go for the day --- if the weather is okay.

Posted by
20 posts

That's a depressing and informative post. My wife and I are flying into Milan, and we're planning on spending 4 days / 3 nights in the CT. Are you suggesting 2 days and 1 night?

Thanks.

Posted by
10344 posts

@ dhammer53: we could be more helpful if you say when you're going to be in the CT?

Posted by
10344 posts

Referring to the post immediately above this one: Given your mid-November date, Roberto's post also applies to you. Not the best time to go to the CT, for the reasons he gives.