Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre in March

Debating where to stay in CT March 2019. I would like to stay in Vernazza but I'm worried may not find restaurants or shops open for the season. Would Monterosso be a better bet?

Posted by
2395 posts

I was in the CT in March 2018. Things were open, the weather was pleasant, and cruise ship season hadn't started. The villages are minutes apart, so it really doesn't matter which one you stay in.

Posted by
519 posts

Weather is a guess. We stayed in early March and it was perfect. 50+ degrees, sun shine and no crowds. There was limited restaurants but enough for us. Most of the trails were open and we had them basically to ourselves. The following week we froze in torrential rain in Venice. It's still pick-- bad weather over heat and crowds. This year we are going April 22nd and I'm concerned about the cruise ship crowds.

Posted by
32214 posts

jim,

Which part of March will your trip take place? All of the hotels and restaurants may not be open in March, but Monterosso would probably be a safer bet as they have the largest amount of tourist facilities. Hopefully the weather will be nice.

Posted by
3112 posts

Some restaurants and shops in Vernazza will be open in March while others will be cosed because they're sesonal. I was there in mid-October one year, and it was much less busy than in high season. Monterosso was busier than Vernazza but not crowded. Suspect it would be about the same in March.

Posted by
1829 posts

Best time to go is probably March-April or October so would not concern me if a few shops are closed, I am sure a couple stay open. Even if all are open the variety is not plentiful.

Posted by
1704 posts

Based on past years, there's a good chance the ferry will be running by Sat. March 23, that means most businesses will be operating by then.

Posted by
1704 posts

The 2019 Cinque Terre ferry is starting Saturday, March 30. About a week later than the past few years.