Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre in March

Hi all,
I have two weeks in Italy March 11-24, 2017. I'm looking for feedback at the end of the trip:
Rome (3-4 days)--> Tuscany (1.5 days) --> Florence (2.5 days) --> Cinque Terre OR Almalfi Coast --> Rome

Regarding Cinque Terre - I know makes more sense geographically to go there but I've heard mixed reviews of the weather/walking conditions in March and that some places might still be closed at that time. If we did Cinque Terre, we could probably add another day somewhere.

Alternatively, we could go to the Amalfi Coast (we'd have up to 4 days there with travel time). I'm concerned we're traveling too much (we're thinking of doing a night or two in Sorrento, then a night or two in Positano).

I look to the collective wisdom from this forum - Cinque Terre OR Almalfi?
Thank you!

Posted by
4434 posts

Look at historic temp averages on a website like wunderground, but I think you could be in for iffy weather in either location.
You also have short brief amounts of time elsewhere, it looks like it might be crowded. Perhaps tell us what you are after? There are other places to get views and hiking.

Posted by
1829 posts

I think Amalfi Coast would have better March weather ; plus of the 2 I prefer it so would be my choice.
It is larger and requires more time and travel to see than the comparatively tiny Cinque Terre.
Since you are flying into and out of Rome the Amalfi Coast isn't really much more out of your way than Cinque Terre is.
It makes your trip overall more rushed but if that is OK with you I would do that.

I have been to both and enjoyed them each, they are quite different. Amalfi Coast is more impressive to me. It also seems a better place to be if you do get a rainy day or a cold spell.

Not sure I would break up the stay but I guess that depends on what you want to do and see. In March ferries from Positano may not be running, on the positive side the local bus is likely not as crowded and hotel prices will be better. Rates in Cinque Terre won't fluctuate as much between high and low seasons as they will in Positano.

Posted by
7175 posts

Due to their seasonality, I wouldn't consider Cinque Terre or Positano until the end of April. Whereas Sorrento, having a sizeable permanent population, is a year round consideration. With direct train connections to Naples and Pompeii, it offers options in the event of unfavourable weather.

For similar reasons I would probably stay in Florence for the time in Tuscany, rather than splitting it with a stay in the countryside.

Rome - 4N
Florence - 4N
Sorrento - 4N
Rome - 1N

Posted by
32214 posts

rachel,

I agree with David's suggestion in the previous reply, in terms of making Florence your "base" for Tuscany (since it's the capital of Tuscany).

Regarding the Cinque Terre, it fits better with your overall route but mid-March is probably not the best time to visit that area, for a few reasons.....

• the "official" start of the tourist season is April 1st, so some of the hotels and other businesses may still be closed.
  • the weather may or may not be favourable at that time.
  • if you were thinking of hiking the Sentiero Azzurro trails, they will probably not be open at that time, and the two sections that were closed this year will probably still be closed next year.

If you wre going to visit the Amalfi Coast instead, I also agree that you should use Sorrento as the "base" in that area. Positano is not as well served by transportation, so only has Bus or vehicle access (and boats at times, when the weather is favourable).

For the trip from Naples to Sorrento, you may be able to use the more "tourist friendly" Campania Express, but I'm not sure on the exact dates it will resume service in 2017. You could also use the Circumvesuviana but be sure to wear a Money Belt and watch your luggage closely.

Posted by
15591 posts

I like David's advice, but I'd tweak it. When you land at FCO, take the Leonardo Express to Termini (Rome) and then continue on to Florence. From Florence go to Sorrento, then end your trip in Rome. That saves you a hotel change.

In March the Amalfi Coast towns are accessible by bus from Sorrento. The ferries stop running for the winter, except to the islands, so you could visit Capri . . . or take the train to Pompeii. . . or both.