Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre hiking trails

Does anyone have a current status of hiking trails in CT? I know there are many different trails, coastal trails, higher up trails, interior trails, etc. etc. And I know some are open, some are still closed, etc. I also know there are websites describing current status, but most of them seem to be in Italian. So bottom line, in late June 2013, will there be sufficient trails for 4 people ages 20 to 60 to hike? We don't need the hardest ones.

Posted by
32201 posts

Rob, I'd suggest checking the website shown in the first reply on a regular basis, as it's likely that at least some of the No. 2 trails will be re-opening anytime. Due to bad weather over the last few months, the repairs are apparently a bit "behind schedule". Tourist season usually starts about April 1st, so I expect to see some status changes any day now. As you mentioned, there's an extensive network of trails in that area but some of the higher trails may be a bit too rigorous for older travelers. Happy travels!

Posted by
80 posts

the website now says that they expect some of #2 to be open---Manarola to Monterossa--sometime in April-----it does not get any more specific than that--we're heading in late April so we'll keep our fingers crossed Paul

Posted by
17 posts

We are also going to CT in May, if the trails are not open between the towns would you take ferry? Bus? rail? Just wondered how to get from one town to the next it trails remain closed. Thank you. Sorry to piggyback on your question.

Posted by
80 posts

both the train and boat are options---train would be faster/cheaper---boat more scenic and costly also less frequent....alot of the "upper" trails are open Paul

Posted by
32201 posts

@heidi, The local trains are by far the easiest and quickest way to get between the five towns. They run quite frequently and the tickets are cheap. It's quite likely that by May, at least some of the Sentiero Azzurro (No. 2) trails will be open, so a combination of hiking and trains will work well. While there is an extensive network of "other" trails in that area, many of them extend higher up the mountains and will take considerably longer to hike. You could also use the boats, which also run frequently. However, note that these are "weather dependent" so if it's stormy they likely won't be operating. Happy travels!

Posted by
11315 posts

We visited last October when the blue trail was totally closed. Still had ample hiking opportunities which you can read about here. In Manarola there is a little bio-diesel bus that will take you to the higher "red" trail for a couple of euros. We are "older" (thanks Ken!) but fit and managed quite well. Sturdy hiking shoes are highly recommended.

Posted by
32201 posts

@Laurel, I may have been thinking of myself when I made the comment about "older" hikers using the higher trails. I could probably manage them if I paced myself, but they're not on the top of my list for touring in that area. The trail from Monterosso to Vernazza was enough effort for me! Cheers!

Posted by
17 posts

I was just in the CT a couple weeks ago. All of Trail 2 remained closed and the staffers in the Park offices thought it would remain closed for some time. That being said, there are many other trails worth the hike. We hiked 6, 6d, 7a, and 8b. A good source of information is Pall Folorney. Check out his website at TrekGuyd.com and email him with any questions. He was very helpful.