Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre hiking

While hiking in Cinque Terre we would like to visit some of the churches in the towns. I know in the large cities it is respectful to cover one’s shoulders and knees. Does the same rule apply in Cinque Terre? I was hoping this would be a region where I could wear shorts (nothing too short but not capris) but I don’t want to be disrespectful of local culture if we do decide to step inside one of the churches.

Posted by
3122 posts

Even if the rule wasn't strictly enforced there, I'd want to be respectful. Do you have a pair of hiking pants that convert to shorts? Or, you could do the creative thing I saw a young man do at the Vatican: tie a scarf around each leg to cover your knees. Same if you're wearing a sleeveless top, put a scarf over your shoulders.

Posted by
32325 posts

I've visited some of the churches in the Cinque Terre towns and many other places in Italy, but didn't really notice if a dress code was being enforced. My normal travel attire is long trousers and a shirt which covers the shoulders, and I've never had a problem in any Church in Italy.

As the previous reply mentioned, it would be a good idea to use a respectful approach in Churches, and dress appropriately.

Posted by
1777 posts

In towns as small as the Cinque Terre, except for Sunday morning, there's rarely a priest or even a custodian in the town church. No one will even look twice at you if you dress like most other people.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you for your responses! I am really looking forward to exploring the Cinque Terre.