Please sign in to post.

cinque terre

any great tips on the CT? we will be ther for 2 weeks in september 2007, staying in riomaggiore.
thanks,
Ronda

Posted by
57 posts

We stayed in Vernazza for 3 nights last May, and I am envious of you being able stay for 2 entire weeks! Here is a brief description of a few of my favorite things in CT:
Piazza Marconi, Vernazza: Just sit on the wall, watch the people in the piazza or turn around and watch the harbor (sunset is lovely).
Boat: Go town-hopping via the local boats; great views!
Ristorante La Lampara in Riomaggiore: Try the spaghetti al cartoccio (w/ sea food cooked in foil); the owner & waiter a very friendly too.
Hike the CT Trail: Via dell' Amore is wide, flat, paved and easy from Manarola to Riomaggiore; we walked in afternoon and again at sunset - heavenly. The trail from Vernazza north is tough, but we hiked high enough for great views of Vernazza.
Ristorante Marina Piccola in Manarola: Lemon mousse in a chilled martini glass. Unforgettable.
The People: We adored them all. If they invite you in for limoncello - go for it!!

Posted by
32206 posts

Ronda,

I stayed in Riomaggiore for several days last Sept. & Oct. and enjoyed every minute of my visit (except for a few unfortunate "foot problems" when hiking)! I also really enjoyed the dinners at La Lampara (anything with Pesto!!!).

If you're staying in the main part of town, evenings can be a bit "noisy" at Bar Centrale (especially if someone brings a Guitar and everyone is getting into the Mojitos), but I didn't mind a bit. The "two part breakfast" was a bit unusual, but it was part of the experience.

It's a wonderful place to rest and recharge after more strenuous touring in other locations. Enjoy the ambience, have a great time and enjoy all the towns. I can hardly wait to return (hopefully next year).

Happy travels!!!