Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre

Does anyone have any experience in Cinque Terre in 2012?

Posted by
32325 posts

David, I haven't had any "experience" in the Cinque Terre in 2012 yet, but was there in September 2011. I'm planning to visit that area again this September. What information are you looking for?

Posted by
191 posts

My goodness, please be nice. I have a feeling that David is well aware of the mudslide in Cinque Terre, and wants to know what the current conditions are, and whether he will be able to include it in his itinerary! Sorry, I have not traveled to CT since the slide, so cannot help.

Posted by
3 posts

Do you not read the papers, Vernazza is buried under tons of mud. Pat
Colorado

Posted by
33513 posts

Do you not read the papers, Vernazza is buried under tons of mud. Do you not read this Helpline? There have been many, many updates since the event by several posters in a position to know the truth. The more accurate answer might have been (leaving out the rude first bit) Vernazza was buried under tons of mud. And is recovering well with many areas set to be ready for the tourist season.

Posted by
32325 posts

David (et al), For current updates on the situation in the Cinque Terre, have a look at: Monterosso Vernazza This Website Rick Steves Update Info. Most of the businesses in the "old town" section of Monterosso will be open for "business as usual" this spring, and also many in Vernazza. The people in that area are "willing & able" to welcome visitors back, and I'm sure they will appreciate the support. Cheers!

Posted by
15 posts

I want to thank Nigel and Jan for coming to my defense and Erica and Ken for the helpful sites. Yes I'm well aware of the Catastrophe in October 2011 and have read reports saying that, with the exception of Vernazza, Cinque Terre and its environs should be ready and welcoming for tourists in April. That said, we're talking Italy here and since if I decide to spend a few nghts there it would be in the middle of March, I was hoping for a current "boots on the ground" report to see if the reconstruction is on schedule and what town and/or hotel would be the best to book into.
Thanks again folks.

Posted by
32325 posts

"Apparently the hotels she contacted are in the affected area and are not taking reservations yet" One point to mention is that many of the tourist-related businesses there don't normally re-open for the season until about April 1st so they would be closed anyway, regardless of the flood. The slow winter months are normally for "rest and renovations", but there are always a few places open year round. Cheers!

Posted by
3259 posts

Why not book a hotel in one of the towns that wasn't damaged, like Manarola? There is another thread going here about staying in Cinque Terre villages in March or april. Apparently the hotels she contacted are in the affected area and are not taking reservations yet, so maybe the re-construction is behind schedule.

Posted by
5 posts

We had booked reservations at Agritourismo Buranco (5 minutes away from Monterros) before the event had happened. I've been in touch with them multiple times in the past since the disaster and they assure me recovery plans are well under way and they are recovering.

Posted by
32325 posts

@Denise, According to the "official information" on the Monterosso website, Agriturismo Buranco will be opening on April 1st. As it's located slightly outside the main part of town, it may not have been affected as much by the flooding.

Posted by
15 posts

From all the information I've gotten from the message board, the current state of recovery and the fact that I'll be going this month, it looks like the best bet is to stay in either Riomaggiore or Manarola. Does anyone have an opinion as to the better of the two towns to base out of? Thanks,
david

Posted by
3259 posts

They are very close together, linked by the Via Amore which takes about 15 minutes to walk. Manarola is very pretty and also steep. Great views from the top of the town, and paths through the vineyards. I don't know about Riomaggiore as we did not go there. You might just choose by which has lodging you like.

Posted by
32325 posts

David, Either Riomaggiore and Manarola would be a good choice. As the previous reply mentioned, your decision may be based more on what you can find for accommodations in March. You could also have a look at the link I provided earlier, as some lodgings are already open in Monterosso. Cheers!