Please sign in to post.

Cinque terre

We would like to visit ct for a few days and then travel somewhere north maybe Switzerland since we have been all over Italy. Any recommendations of where to go?

Posted by
32921 posts

Do you mean that you are in Italy now? There was a post earlier today noting that all the trails in the Cinque Terre are currently closed. I'm sorry, your question is just a little vague - it is hard to suggest without knowing anything about what you like or don't like.

Posted by
32222 posts

Linda, I agree with Nigel - it would be really helpful to have more information. When are you planning to travel there? Which of the five towns would you prefer to stay in? Where in Switzerland would you like to go after the C.T.? Cheers!

Posted by
28 posts

We are planning our trip in late June. We like to explore and be adventurous. Thanks

Posted by
28 posts

We are open for suggestions in CT. Which towns would you recommend and how many days would you recommend in CT?

Posted by
1446 posts

As for the CT, all the towns are nice but I prefer Monterosso. It's the largest of the 5 towns, but still very quaint, and it's the flattest town with the most restaurant options. You might have a look at Albergo Pasquale which is very popular, easy walking distance from the train station and every room has an ocean view. They book up well in advance so if you're interested, contact them asap. You will probably get many opinions on how many days to spend there but I would suggest a minimum of 2-3 days. We were there for 3 days in '09 & will return for 5 days in September. I really love the CT & am planning to take a few day trips from the CT on our next trip, thus the reason we are staying for 5 days. Have a great trip!

Posted by
32222 posts

Linda, Thanks for the additional information. I'd suggest at least 3-4 nights in the Cinque Terre if possible. As you like to "explore and be adventurous", you'll probably want to hike the Sentiero Azzurro trails (which will hopefully be open by then - Park Pass required). You could also take daytrips to nearby towns such as the posh resorts of Portofino or Porto Venere. In terms of which of the five towns to stay in, each has a somewhat unique "personality" so you might want to check the Italy 2013 Guidebook to see which best fits your criteria. You should be able to find the book at local Libraries or larger bookstores. It can also be downlooaded as an E-book. Like Sheron, I also tend to prefer Monterosso. You can get some idea of the atmosphere in one of the towns (Vernazza) on THIS short video. I would highly recommend getting a hotel booking in the Cinque Terre AS SOON as you have your dates finalized! Most of the tourist businesses there will still be closed for the season, but I'd suggest starting to contact them perhaps in February. If you're planning to go from the Cinque Terre to the Berner Oberland region of Switzerland, be prepared to get an early start in order to arrive at a decent hour and get checked-in. I did that trip in late September and had to leave Monterosso at about 06:00. That may not be the case for other destinations in Switzerland. Cheers!

Posted by
28 posts

Hi Sheron, Thanks for your reply and great info. Yes, we have been to Italy twice before. But we have never been to CT and some of the other places your mentioned (Portofino, Camogli, etc). We are flying into Milan in late June and have a week to play with. Then we are meeting friends in Rome for a cruise. Any other suggestions you have would be appreciated. We are open to drive around but would prefer public transportation. I have been to Orvieto but my husband hasn't so thats a great suggestion. W

Posted by
501 posts

Linda , since you've experienced Italy before, have you considered giving Milan one good day and then travel by rail(1hour) to Varenna and Lake Como? Spend at least one evening there and then travel to CT. Give us a trip report and let us know which one you enjoyed the most. Have fun!

Posted by
2199 posts

We loved Monterosso and Albergo Pasquale. Opening the shutters on that view was sensational. It was an easy walk from the train station with our luggage. The owners are wonderful cooks and cautioned us that we must have a mortar and peStal for making pesto since otherwise you burn the basil. Regret that we didn't buy the large marble mortars even though they looked heavier than lead as we can't find that size in the states.