Please sign in to post.

cinque terre

Has anyone travelled to Cinque Terre from Rome by car? how was your experience? Thx

Posted by
306 posts

Leave the car and take the train. You don't want or need a car in CT.

Posted by
12172 posts

We traveled from Venice to CT through Modena. We parked in La Spezia but not near the station. We found safer free parking near the Navy base.

Posted by
81 posts

Norman, we drove to the Cinque Terre this past May, but from Fosdinovo. We had every intention to park in La Spezia and take the train to see the towns. It was a Sunday, very rainy and we found no parking. We decided to drive as far as Portovenere but before we knew it we driving along the coastal road high above the towns. Some roads were closed to the towns (reason unknown) so we just continued until we got to Montorosso al Mare where we parked and explored and walked. Lovely town. We just continued to drive until Levanto and beyond for the rest of the day as far as Portofino. Because of where we were staying in Fosdinovo (not far from Cinque Terre) we had only planned on staying the day and because of the weather we just kept on driving and enjoying the winding roads, the scenery (what we could see) and stopping along the way to let sheep cross the road or some refreshments. I don't know if it was the weather or time of year, but there was very little traffic and even in the rain, driving was as good as it can be on that sort of winding road. I wish we could have stayed longer in that area, although Fosdinovo and area in the hills was great to explore as well. Enjoy your time there!

Posted by
166 posts

Yes, in 2006 we drove from Rome through Tuscany and to Monterosso al Mare where we stayed 2 nights. The reason is my Mom uses a wheelchair. The drive was lovely down to the coast and into Monterosso. We stayed at a hotel called Punta Mesco and they had private parking. I've also been by train and that worked out fine also. It just depends on your needs. We also drove out of Monterosso to Venice where we dropped the car and everything went very smoothly.

Posted by
10344 posts

"Has anyone traveled to Cinque Terre by car from Rome?" Yes, of course someone has, and you've heard from one of them. If you decide to drive, you'll undoubtedly survive but you'll probably look back on it and realize the decision to do what you'd do here, rent a car, was not the best decision for enhancing the quality of your vacation in the CT. A couple of issues: 1) Except in Monterosso, overnight parking is a problem; and 2) there's no place to drive once you get there, so the flexibility that a car usually gives you doesn't work to your advantage there, since getting from village to village is by walking or the train. If you do end up driving, drive, sleep in Monterosso, the more resort-like of the five villages, and try to book a place that provides parking.

Posted by
10344 posts

Mary, thank you for sharing that heart-wrenching story of what can happen when you drive a rental car in Italy. We've had many stories of accidents, over the years, driving a rental car in Italy. Just another reason for the rest of us to ask ourselves: in Italy, if trains go there, why am I driving? Is it just because that's what I always do in the US? (not a good reason)

Posted by
16 posts

Yes we drove our car from Rome to Monterosso in Cinque Terre. It depends on how you go. We stopped by Pisa and Lucca then north to the road that takes you to Cinque Terre. It is a small mountain road with lots of curves. A young 16 year old boy hit us head on with his motorcycle. There was nobody near to help us. When we finally found someone to help they did not speak English. Hours later help came for the boy. The week before another young boy was killed on a motorcycle in that same area. Are the roads as bad as Ireland-No but there are crazy drivers and motorcycles that take a curve on your side of the road. Cinque Terre has a wonderful train system. You will have to park and pay for your car. Save the money and your peace of mind-use the train.