Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre

My wife has a problem getting up stairs and inclined areas due to a leg problem. Will it be too tough for her to get around the towns in the CT?

Posted by
32222 posts

Don,

To add to the other comments, it will likely depend on which town you choose to stay in. As Swan suggested, Monterosso would probably be the easiest choice as it's mostly level and also has a great sandy beach.

You didn't indicate which method of travel you'd be using? Keep in mind there are often a few steps to get onto trains, and also for access to the tunnels (called "sottopassagio") between tracks.

Good luck!

Posted by
10344 posts

Don: You asked what words to search on to find prior discussions of your question. I searched on "Cinque Terre steps" and found answers to the same/similar question you asked here in 2007: click here to revisit the answers to your 2007 questionIn your last post in June 2007 you said you'd decided on Edi's in Riomaggiore--did that not work out for you?Here are 2 more links with similar discussions:http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm?topic=756http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm?topic=6943

Posted by
3580 posts

Monterosso is your best bet for fairly level walking in the CT. There are buses and taxis along the main street of the town. The other towns are hillier, but once in Corniglia, after taking a bus up from the train station, it isn't very hilly. Of course, there are stairs at the train stations and at most hotels. The question has been asked here before, try using the search box in the upper right corner of this page.

Posted by
147 posts

Can you give me an idea on what to enter in the search for this question?

Posted by
147 posts

OK, good. Yes I did ask in 07 and we had to cancel our planned trip there and couldn't go due to her problems. I'm thinking of trying to go in May of this year and wanted other opinions.

I know about Monterosso being the flattest so we would stay there for sure but was wondering about the other towns. Sounds like we'd better pass on it after all.

I guess we'll just go back up to Lakes.

We've been all around Italy but not to the CT, only to Portofino and Pisa in that area.

Posted by
10344 posts

Don: Glad we could help out. IMO you're making the best decision. Accurate advice has to include the plain fact that, except for Monterosso, the other four CT villages are unusually hilly by any normal standard of comparison, being built on the sides of steep hills plunging from the heights into the sea.Happy travels and best wishes!