Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre

Hi this question is to anyone who has been to Cinque Terre,we are going to be there this summer,August/08 and would like some information on booking somewhere to stay for at least 4 days.We are travelling on a budget as we will be in Italy for 3 weeks in total.We would like to stay in Vernazza if possible,can someone suggest a clean,comfortable room with view,double size.Do you have to book by phone or is there a webb site.

Posted by
6898 posts

Many places that have inexpensive rooms in the CT do not have websites. However, here are a couple of ideas from posters on this site (very good comments).

Camere-Rooms by Martina Callo. 4 rooms. http://www.roomartina.com/

Tonino Basso’s Rooms. toninobasso@libero.it
Maria Capellini Rooms. Can't find website. Highly rated

AND, please look at Rick's book on Italy or the CT. The section on Vernazza has a great listing of rooms for rent.

Posted by
590 posts

I just stayed at Martina Callo. If you don't have a problem with stairs it is a great room. I stayed in Room number 1 (75 E) and it had sea views. It was a very huge room and I thought it was a good deal with sea views. I hated the towles though...they were like placemats.

Posted by
186 posts

I too stayed at Martina's rooms recently. The view is gorgeous and the room was very large---modest but very clean. Martina is very responsive to email. We found that towels in Italy are often like those at Martina's and just part of the way they do things elsewhere.

Posted by
152 posts

http://www.mariacapellini.com/

We stayed at The Cozy Studio in May for 3 nights and it was awesome. It is a small flat with double bed and a twin, a little kitchen area with fridge and table, and it is right on the main square by the ocean. Maria and her husband Giacomo were so friendly and helpful. We paid €80 cash per night and the booking was done via email. It does not have a direct view but in Vernazza as soon as you are down the stairs to the square you are on the ocean. The sea wall is lined with free park benches and other places to sit. You can buy your own food and wine and just sit down for hours, or each in the square. IMHO Vernazza is the best of the best in 5-Terre. The views are everywhere, and the room became a place to rest. Check out the web site. they also have another room on the square that does have a view. Have fun.

Posted by
72 posts

try the hostel in manarola. ostello 5-terra is clean, quite and has helpful freindly staff, and cheap internet access. i stayed there for 2 nights and i was very pleased. i think i paid 23 euros a night for a bed in a 6 person dorm room. they also offer, twin and 4 person rooms for other prices. its an easy walk down to the trail for a great view of the town at night aswell.

http://www.cinqueterre.net/ostello/home_en.html

Posted by
32200 posts

Shawnda, you might have to widen your criteria to include lodgings in ANY of the C.T. villages. August is not far off, and is a VERY busy time! I'd suggest finding something and reserving as soon as possible, especially as you're travelling "on a budget".

You might check Rick's Italy 2008 book for a listing of reliable lodgings in each of the towns. The prices will be listed, and also contact information (E-mail). Make a list of several places with the most desirable at the top, and start contacting them one at a time. When you find one with room availability, make a booking! You may need to use a credit card to secure a reservation. Note that some of the smaller places in that area are on a "cash only" basis when paying the bill.

If you're able to consider other towns, you might have a look at www.5terre-marmar.com in Riomaggiore. They have good basic rooms and I believe some have view. For higher budgets, check www.torrettas.com in Manarola. The Hostel in Manarola (mentioned in a previous post) is clean and well run, but be aware they have a strict lockout for part of the day. There may be a wider selection in Monterosso, as it's the largest of the towns, but not sure what price ranges they will be?

Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
23 posts

I booked a room with Martina in Feb. for this June. Get Rick Steve's 2008 book and contact asap. Good Luck

Posted by
10 posts

We just recently stayed in Vernazza in Caterina's room - http://www.caterinarooms.it/ - it was delightful, clean and yes, up many stairs as is everything! It doesn't have a view, but then we didn't spend much time in our room! Too much to see and do outside of your room. Note that she does not speak English - but has a friend help her respond by email. If she doesn't have the room available, ask her for another suggestion. Seems as if everyone knows everyone there and they all know about each other's rooms. I emailed 6 people in February for a May date before I found this one. Best to lock one in soon.