Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre

Yes we are still planning to go to Italy the end of June. Hopefully by then-things in Northern Italy will be looking better. We are staying in Corniglia for 3 nights. There are 6 adults and we would like a boat tour of the 5 towns, which includes some snorkeling as well. I have read many tours-was wondering if any has some personal experience with this and can recommend a tour. Our host at the house we are renting, emailed that she could arrange for a boat trip out of Corniglia-anyone have thoughts on booking through a tour company or going, with what I feel may be a fisherman friend she knows. Thoughts anyone? Appreciated.

Posted by
870 posts

Time will tell as far as infections are concerned. My May trip is questionable.

Have the host provide the name of the service and look it up. Angelo's Boat Tours out of Monterosso has very high ratings.

Posted by
945 posts

In late May of 2018, my family and friends I booked Fish & Chill for a Sunset Cruise. While we weren't able to take the cruise we imagined, it was one of the highlights of the trip and the captain Diego was a pure delight. A little background would help. The two days in the Cinque Terre were overcast and the water a bit choppy. All the smaller boats cancelled their cruises and Diego had done the same. However, my two college-aged girls and I really wanted to sail, so he agreed to take us on an abbreviated tour (2 hours instead of the 3 plus. It was too choppy to anchor and eat, but he would take us along the coast. We are from the San Francisco Bay Area and sailed on the Bay in worse conditions and persuaded him to take us.

We had a blast. He served wine from his families vineyard and we saw an uncrowded view of the coast. I am sure that in better weather, snorkeling and a nice meal would be an added bonus.

Sandy

Posted by
32173 posts

poole,

There's no way to tell what the situation is going to look like in June, but hopefully it will be better.

As I recall, it's a LONG way down to the water in Corniglia, so you may have quite a hike to reach the boat. You'll probably find more options from Monterosso, but I don't have any to suggest.

Good luck!

Posted by
15679 posts

Poole, I'll agree with Ken. Due to the distance from village (Corniglia) down to the water, you'd very likely have better luck with a boat tour from Monterosso or other village. The lack of a harbor, per se, is also why ferries don't serve Corniglia.

Editing to add: you probably know this but maybe worth mention that Corniglia's train station is also located far below the village. To get up to the village, you either take the shuttle bus that runs between village and station (fee or covered by CT Treno or Trekking cards), hike up the vehicle road, or puff up the 382-step, 33-switchback Lardarina stairway. Same going down.

Posted by
60 posts

For me, I’d enjoy the local experience of going on a boat with a local, whether he be a fisherman or host neighbor with a boat. The CT is pretty small town community and an experience like this could be neat. But to each their own and a decision you’ll have to make.
I suppose you could ask they send photograph of the boat you’ll be on in order to gain better understanding?
Good luck!