Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre

Thank you for the information on my travels to Italy. We are presently booked to arrive in Rome on 8/27/11 for four nights and we must work our way to Genoa by Sept. 2nd. I was hoping to stay in Cinque Terre for two days, but viewing the comments--its sounds impossible. Any suggestions for a town close to Cinque Terra. Also, regards trains to Cinque and Genoa. Thank you.

Posted by
11333 posts

Are you thinking it is impossible to get a room reservation? Have you tried? If not one of the 5 towns and I still think you should at least try then perhaps in La Spezia, which is only a few minutes by train from Riomaggiore and all the other towns. You can get to Genoa from La Spezia on an AV train in 1 hour and 15 minutes, departing 0953 and arriving 1108 for 13.50 euros, 2nd class. That's just an example; research fares and routes at Trenitalia.com.

Posted by
13 posts

Thank you Lauren for your response. I will follow your suggestions. I did make an attempt through AAA but it was $948. for two nights out of our range.

Posted by
32212 posts

Cindi, I'm not clear on what you were trying to obtain through AAA? It's doubtful that you'll find accommodations in the five villages of the Cinque Terre at this late date, but there's always a slight hope. If you have the Italy Guidebook, check some of the listings there and send out some E-mails. You may have to be "flexible" with regards to the type of accommodations. As Laurel suggested, you could also try and find something in La Spezia or possibly Santa Margherita Ligure, as they're both reasonably close. If you want to stay in one of the five villages, your best bet might be to try Monterosso or Riomaggiore. One possibility you might try is Mar-Mar Rooms in Riomaggiore. I started looking for accommodations in the C.T. in about March, for a stay in September. Even starting that early, it was a bit of an effort to get something arranged. Happy travels!

Posted by
13 posts

Vernon, thank you for the information. I've had a reply from Mar-Mar for a stay at Bianca (tranquil locationwhatever that meansdistance away), or Meglia (in the heart of the village-no ocean view), but I suppose we can view the scene from many locations. I'm not sure just where to go in CT, sounds like since your going you may have some good suggestions.

Posted by
13 posts

Ken, as you can see I am new to this internet and posting messages. Sorry Vernon, CA.

Posted by
791 posts

Cindi,
Not quite sure what you are looking for but 2 mins ago did a search on initalia.it and came up with one room in Riomaggiore and quite a few in La Spezia and Levanto. Even at this date you should be able to find something in CT or close by.

Posted by
11333 posts

All of the towns are beautiful. Lack of a view from your room should be a non-starter as you most likely won't spend a lot of time in your room. Take a room that fits your budget in any B&B or small hotel. Trip Advisore turned up two options in Riomaggiore, for example, for your dates. Try all the towns. You can also try VRBO.com. You might have to email lots of owners until someone says "yes". Call or write to every lodging in Rick Steves' guide. You never know when there will be a cancellation.

Posted by
32788 posts

Hi Cindi Good luck in your search. It may be difficult to locate a good room for you but I bet with with a bit of perseverance on your part you can get something. A couple have already been suggested. I'm not sure that using AAA or a major travel agent would work very well in very small properties in small towns like the Cinque Terra. I think it will take legwork and a smidge of good luck.

Posted by
16 posts

I recently had to cancel our reservations in Monterosso, August 26,27,28 - at Hotel Villa Steno. You might try there...